+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sage "Bluegill" rod

Hybrid View

1. Default Sage "Bluegill" rod

Has anybody tried the new Sage Bluegill rod? If so, how does it feel? Could it double as a small stream Smallmouth rod? What reel would you recommend for the 230 grain line?

Normand Guest

from the web

"The newest and lightest member of the SAGE Bass series, the Bluegill, is designed to push poppers and wind-resistant flies into tight quarters for smaller bass and panfish. The special action and shorter length also makes it the perfect big trout "bugger chukker" for pounding the banks from a driftboat. Like it's bigger brothers, the Bluegill comes with it's own custom taper fly line and a cool rod/reel combo case.

The 203 grain Bluegill rod from SAGE is 7'11", 4pc and is rated for the specially designed 230 grain floating fly line. It is roughly equivalent to a 6-7wt and we have also been throwing a 6wt sink tip on it with no problems."

Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Normand Guest

the video is really lacking specific information on what reel should be used on the rod but it looks like the "1600" series from sage

http://www.sageflyfish.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=144881
    Last edited by Normand; 01-18-2009 at 11:36 AM.

let's see, where have I seen a rod like that before....oh yeah, some of the glass Wonderods built in the 50s and 60s...including my Wonderod which happens to be 7'9" and will throw anything from a 4 wt. to a 7 or 8 wt. with ease...perfect for throwing poppers and larger trout streamers.
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

My fly fishing club raffled one of these off at our annual Christmas party and fund raiser. The rod is more than heavy enough for smallmouth and largemouth. It is very good at tossing heavy hair bugs, poppers, zonkers, and large woolly buggers.

I have no idea why they call it a bluegill rod. It is a 6-7wt rod, and seems too heavy for bluegill. One of the jokes around the club is that we want to find the bluegills that are supposed to match up with this rod. They would have to average about 2 pounds!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonr1948 View Post
    One of the jokes around the club is that we want to find the bluegills that are supposed to match up with this rod. They would have to average about 2 pounds!!
    I believe that would be Mikey's Saltwater Bluegills. (Beat you to it, Paul!)
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    I believe that would be Mikey's Saltwater Bluegills. (Beat you to it, Paul!)

I bet that rod would throw one of these...

Designed just for the Saltwater Bluegills

Brad

Or one of these ??

The fish are always right.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonr1948 View Post
    My fly fishing club raffled one of these off at our annual Christmas party and fund raiser. The rod is more than heavy enough for smallmouth and largemouth. It is very good at tossing heavy hair bugs, poppers, zonkers, and large woolly buggers.

I have no idea why they call it a bluegill rod. It is a 6-7wt rod, and seems too heavy for bluegill. One of the jokes around the club is that we want to find the bluegills that are supposed to match up with this rod. They would have to average about 2 pounds!!

Yep, I bought this for my local smallmouth stream (1-3lb) and thought it would be perfect for this application. I will be tossing decent sized poppers, clousers, etc. I have an old Sage 379-3 LL for my bluegill rod.

+ Reply to Thread