O.K. after receiving suggestions on spey lines and taking in as much info as this little brain will allow...I have done some searching around and discovered that traditionally spey lines were double taper lines in the 80'-130' lenghts.
This was my thought when i bought my spey rod, I have an eight weight rod currently and I have a spool for my reel with a courtland double taper line that may have been used a mere half dozen times. My first bit of research revealed there are all types of spay lines so i asked the question.
So I think back to plan A and i would like to know what some of you spey casters think. Why not just use my double taper 8wt line with my new 13' 8 wt spey rod? This should at least get me started, I imagine and once i have a good feel for what I'm doing and some experiance under my belt I could "upgrade" to a specific spey line.
I've also come to realize that there is a decided difference between Skagit casting and traditional casting. I am interested in traditional spey casting only for the time being. It seems to me that traditional casting would better suite my fishing locations. Plus I like to start more or less at the root of it all and as basic as possible for now.
Well, tight loops, or now that I have a spey rod, not so tight.
-Grant