+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Redington RS2 Drag Question

Default Redington RS2 Drag Question

My son and I were going through and cleaning our FF'n equipment the last few nights and noticed the drag on his Redington RS2 9/10 salmon reel has lost the bulk of its stopping power. Now on the maximum drag setting you can pull line off the reel fairly easily. Is there any way to tighten down the drag to restore some of the stopping power?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi BH Spey - Here is the schematic for the RS-2

http://www.redington.com/media/File/..._resources.pdf

On page 2, you'll notice it says that parts are not available for the reel, and it says to return the reel for service. Sorry I can't help you further, but this is probably the best course of action to take. While it may just be an adjustment, the folks at Redington will know best.

I suspect the one way bearing in the spool needs to be replaced. If you have another spool, try putting that one on to see if that solves the problem - can't hurt to try...
    Last edited by Heritage Angler; 01-17-2009 at 02:26 PM.

In my experience, with these reels, oil/lube gets on the drag plates and it causes the problem you experiencing. When you have the drag backed off, there is play in the disc stack and oil can get in there if your lubing it.
    1. To fix, take off cap #37 (refer to Heritage Angler's schematic) with a coin.
    2. Now, with a 5/16" socket, take off nut #36 (CAUTION this nut a left hand thread, so it will loosen the opposite of normal nuts, all the other screws/nuts in this breakdown are normal right hand threads).
    3. Unscrew the drag knob #35, When I do this, parts 33 & 34 stay stuck in the knob from the grease.
    4. Remove the drag pins/springs and clicker pins/springs. Again, on my reel the grease keeps the pins and springs together.
    5. Remove nut #32 (regular thread) This nut may bind at the end of the threaded section when trying to get it off the shaft. What I've done is get a piece of leather and put it around the thin end of the shaft #21 and grip it with pliers will using the socket on the nut. Be careful not to damage the end of the shaft with the pliers
    6. The spool shaft should now be free of the housing
    7. pull the parts off the shaft and clean with a solvent to remove oil and grease.
    8. reassemble the shaft and drag parts. I put a tiny bit of grease where part 23 rides on 21 and on the threads of 21
    9. reassemble the rest going backwards from step 5. You may need the leather and pliers on the shaft to get the nut started. Also be sure the "D" cut out on plate #25 is lined up correctly with the shaft key.
    Not the easiest repair, but its doable. Once you get things fixed, just be careful when you lube the reel. I tighten down the drag first, lube sparingly and wipe away the excess before backing off the drag.
    Good Luck!

Thanks for the directions guys! That is exactly what I was looking for!

+ Reply to Thread