One on a size 16 1X short nymph hook and one on a size 20 2X short emerger hook. Nothing added.

The CDL is for Coq-de-leon. I used feathers from a Whiting Medium Pardo CDL tailing pack. Stripped about eight fibers and tied them in for a tail, then twisted them to strengthen the bundle and wrapped them forward the same you would for a pheasant tail nymph, and tied them off. Nothing else.

The fibers on the Coq-de-leon feathers vary quite a bit on a given feather. Some of them are very slim at the outer end, but closer to the stem they are somewhat thicker. The effect was pretty neat - very slim abdomen, which turned out just about right proportionally lengthwise, and then a thicker thorax - when I got the right fibers. Also, the markings on the CDL feathers tends to create a segmented look when twisted and wrapped.

The size 16 ( more like an 18 ) did pretty well today - took seven bows before it needed to be replaced.

The size 20 was a bit too small ( it is actually about a #24 ) for the water I was fishing. Caught a couple bows, but considering where I was fishing it, I would expect to catch more than that.

The size 20 might do well for a midge in the right place at the right time ??

These were experimental, tied as simply as possible. I wanted to see how the CDL would do tying really small nymphs. I guess the next step would be to dress them more completely. The larger one will probably do well with a soft hackle, including maybe one wrap of peacock herl ?? And the smaller one, with a small CDC wing might make a neat little midge emerger ??

John