+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: scents

I eat a lot of garlic and comes out my pores, so I'm masking the human scent..lol.. I catch alot of Italian Trout..
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Welcome to FAOL Sandfly. Let us know how that works ( I like garlic also )

I don't use "scent", although if I'm out bluegilling with my spin buddies in a boat, and they always, and I mean always, load up a bucket with minnows, I'll rub a minnow on my fly before casting. Or, as Buddy says, on my nymphs and underwater things. If I'm by myself it seems that once I have a gill hit, the hit percentage increase significantly. Could this be psychological? Certainly. I'm as mentally unstable as the rest of you! JGW

I've considered using some yellow yarn and tying up some corn flies for carp. I wonder if tossing a handfull of corn out for chum and dipping the fly in corn juice would work?

Jeff

Years ago I visited an aquarium near Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri and had an experience that convinced me of the value of scents. They had a large tank filled with carp, catfish, paddlefish and probably some other species I don't remember. You could buy fish food to feed the carp. It was fun to watch them slurp it up but then I had an idea. I rubbed my fingers in the crumbs of the fish food and put them in the water. The carp would come up and suck on my fingers even after there wasn't any fish food left on them. The catfish would try the same thing but since their jaws were much stronger than the carp's I was a bit worried about having a cat really clamp down.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
    I've considered using some yellow yarn and tying up some corn flies for carp. I wonder if tossing a handfull of corn out for chum and dipping the fly in corn juice would work?

Jeff
    http://www.flyfishusa.com/tackle-tip...t-leaders.html

http://www.bigcarptackle.com/store/p...cat=307&page=1

Some people use the above. I bluntly don't have the patience to sit and wait and much, MUCH, MUCH, prefer to hunt and stalk and sight fish them. Carp make me smile.

Rick

Does using that Velveta (r) brand of dubbing wax constitute a masking scent??
    Just another HappyHooker

Catching and Releasing Fisher-folk for 40+years

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I always use scent on baitfish and crawfish patterns. The scent is not an 'attractant' per se. It is just one one tool in your arsenal. Fish rely on scent, as well as sound, and vision to locate prey. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I guess what I do is considered using scent. I put small pieces of cardboard soaked in Anise oil in my fly storage box (not my fly box) to mask the scent of head cement. The glue smell really builds up when I get several dozen flies in there.

+ Reply to Thread