Surprisingly I read two articles from this weeks front page. Why? Simple, the subjects were of interest to me. So much so that I feel a few comments are in order.

First the "Art Flick Flies Tied by Elsie Darbee", by Eric Austin. Excellent job and thanks to T. Hellickson for the photo'd flies. It's interesting to note that the lengths of the tail and hackle are longer than what is being prescribed in most books, magazines and demonstrations of recent years. Perhaps it's what's available or just how patterns are evolving towards dimunation. Frankly, damn all the hackle gauges. For pete's sake, just make your own on a small card based on the hooks you use or use your eyes.
Another thing I noticed is the Flick Coffin Fly. Flick says that although it is his favorite artificial imitation of the Green Drake spinner, it is far from good.
Lastly, the photos in the article appear to have heavier bodies than Flick, the Darbees and contemporaries tied. Does that matter? Probably not. Maybe these patterns are a little more difficult to tie than others. Maybe the materials are somewhat more difficult to obtain, or slightly more expensive than synthetics? (yes, not really and no). Although these patterns are historic, have been called obsolete, and have become 'personna non grata' in many catalogs, they've endured the test of time and news of their demise has been greatly exaggerated.
Thanks Eric.

The article by Eric Zeigler on Swaps was right on the money.

Allan