+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $19.99 micrometer

Default $19.99 micrometer

I bought one last year at Harbor Freight after years looking at $100.00 price tags for similar tools. I have not regretted the purchase and find it very accurate for leader building and fly tying proportions.
    The micrometer is by Cen-Tech. Accurate to .0001". Item#00895. Go to your local Harbor Freight store or the web www.HarborFreight.com for more information.
    Enjoy!
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Default Micrometer

Could one be used for guaging tip top sizes and slip joints for rod building? Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Jim,
    Absolutely! all the rod builders deal with tolerances of thousands of an inch.

hairwing
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Hey Jim, if I was going to build a rod, I would recomend dial or digital calipers. I am a Quality Assurance Inspector for Lockheed/Martin Aeronautics and I deal with these kinds of measurements all day long. Calipers are not quite as accurate4 but they are more versatile as far as measureing the inside and outside of a tube or a tip-top. Just my 2 cents.
    Never brag about you equipment or skill. One is obvious and the other will be.

http://s3.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=89095

Exclamation

A word of caution about the Harbor Freight Micrometer...Check it often to make sure that it "holds" it's tolerances and zero. I had one that I used for racing that went bad pretty fast. YMMV!
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

rusty gates offers one for tippets that is about 49.00. also in reply to daves post, i agree. i use alot of machinist tools in woodworking and there are some real cheap and some very expensive. the cheap ones are never accurate. some are accurate to one, one hundredth of an inch and some are to one ten thousandth of an inch. starret also makes some very good tools.
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Usually overtightening a mike when checking things is what springs them. If you are careful an inexpensive set will last quite a while and maintain decent accuracy for the average user.

Reloading catalogs have good quality mic's...mostly middle of the road prices.

My wife got me the one from Rusty a couple of years back for Christmas. It is just fine. I had a Starrett for years.

10. Default

I picked up a digital micrometer on sale from harbor freight 2 years ago. It's still working fine. I got it for rod building, started using on fly lines and leaders, and keep finding new uses for it. It's really worth the investment.

+ Reply to Thread