+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nemes Book Recommendation

Default Nemes Book Recommendation

Hi,
    I am looking to pick up a new book on fishing with soft-hackled flies. I have Dave Hughes book "Wet Flies". I would like to pick up one of Nemes books. I am comparing "Soft Hackled Fly Addict" and "The Soft-Hackled Fly and Tiny Soft Hackles: A Trout Fisherman's Guide 2nd edition 2006)". What do you all recommend?

Mike

Mike,
    I couldn't swear to it ... but I'd almost swear I saw Nemes books combined into one. One way or the other I'd recommend both!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by coltranem View Post
    "Soft Hackled Fly Addict" [or] "The Soft-Hackled Fly and Tiny Soft Hackles: A Trout Fisherman's Guide 2nd edition 2006)". What do you all recommend?
    Neither. I'd get Allan Mcgee's Tying & Fishing Soft-Hackled Nymphs , a much more modern treatment of the topic with less "I was on the stream one day..." and more technical content, clearly presented. And yes, I fully realize this is going to incur the wrath of a bunch of Nemes' zealots...

If you really have to have Nemes' book, The Soft-Hackled Fly and Tiny Soft Hackles: A Trout Fisherman's Guide is the better of the two listed.

Luck.

I have all of Neme's books. I agree with whatfly that Allan Mcgee's Tying & Fishing Soft-Hackled Nymphs is an easier book to understand. It also has more info on tying and fishing the flies.
    Member FFF , TU, MTFF
    Ron

I love reading Neme's books. In my tying classes I suggest Allen McGee's book to my students. Lots of real content, great color photos and clear instructions for tying and fishing the flies.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I also agree with the recommendation of McGee's book.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been looking at the Allan McGee book. It looks informative but short only 96 pages. I guess I don't mind if the author is in a bit for a storyteller mode this is for my winter reading It sounds like Nemes is more of that type. However I do want some of the technical details too.....The McGee book is on my list for future purchases.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up What everyone else has said!

I also have several of Neme's books and enjoy them very much but I would also recommend the McGee book for the person who wants to "discover" the soft hackle flies and learn about their construction. 8T

Smile NEMES Rocks

I have a Book on Soft Hackle Flies by Nemes. "Two Centuries of Soft Hackled Flies' Great book, loads of Recipies. Good history and information.
    Dave
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Hi All;

Recieved Nemes's DVD on tying soft hackle flies for christmas and it's very entertaining and informative. I think he's quite funny and entertaining without really trying.

After hearing all the comments about his books I can't wait to read them!

Wayneb

+ Reply to Thread