+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis rod made by TFO?

Default Orvis rod made by TFO?

While on a business trip to Lexington KY this week, I stopped in at the Orvis shop and looked at (and bought) an Orvis Streamline 9' 5 wt. 4 pc rod. The clerk, who sounded well informed, said the rod was made for Orvis by TFO. While I have no reason to doubt him, I wonder if any one could shed any more light on this subject. I have never seen a TFO but from the pictures on the web, I see similarities. The rod casts very well and is nicely finished. It was an inexpensive rod but I think I will enjoy it. It will however, take some getting used to as I have never owned a 4 piece rod.

edited for spelling..
    ------------------
    Clint

I feel closer to HIM when I'm fishing.

[This message has been edited by Bluegill Budd (edited 04 November 2005).]
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

I don't know for sure or not. My guess would be that if there is any truth to that it is that the same company in Korea makes both. After purchasing a TFO I wish I had purchased an Orvis instead. The Orvis' have a much better "fit and finish" IMO. So, that would lead me to believe that different people are making them.
    Ben

i agree that they might be made by the same company overseas, but tfo doesn't make rods. orvis does, but not the streamlight nor the frequent flyer.

TFO makes there own rods. The factory they have produces only TFO rods and nobody elses. They are the only foreign made rod doing this. The Orvis rod is produced in Korea, by who is anyone's guess. The Orvis dealer I worked for dropped the Streamlight and picked up the TFO b/c the streamlight couldn't stand up to the similairly priced TFO.

It is my understanding that Orvis has it's own rod manufacturing place their headquarters in Manchester, Vt. and that they give visitors and students attending their schools tours of the place. Maybe what they actually do is purchase the blanks elsewhere and do the finishing/assembly in Manchester. Also, what about Lefty's endorsements of the TFO rods? Wouldn't he actually be working for/ undser some sort of contract deal with Orvis if that is true?

They do produce rods in VT. I was there five weeks ago.

Yes, Orvis certainly does manufacture most of their own rods in the US. But they don't make their Streamline series here, and it's not covered by their usual warranty.

I bought a TFO for my brother last Christmas and noticed after the fact that it's not US made, so the "same factory in Korea" theory seems plausible, but I couldn't find any corroboration by googling.

TeeHee, that is a funny one!

The TFO factory does not make rods for any other companies, period.

The really funny bit is that the Orvis Salesman thought the rod would sell better if he told folks it was made by TFO.

Anyone remember the old Saturday Night Live skit, " Sony Guts!?"

What does it matter? They're both made in Korea and fall in the same class.

Thanks for all the input. The rod, regardless of who made it, is an outstanding one.

Jay,
    The fellow made the statement after I had puchased the rod (and the Wilsons' book and some other little do-dads) so I don't think it was to sell me the rod. I think he was offering some data which I now think was incorrect.

Jack,
    You're right, however I like the fact that TFO supported our troops, and if I had the opportunity to support them I would, and will. My 8 wt is the same make and vintage as the 5 wt I replaced so it is scheduled to be made into a crappie noodler sometime this coming summer. I will try to find a TFO to do so.

------------------
    Clint

I feel closer to HIM when I'm fishing.

[This message has been edited by Bluegill Budd (edited 07 November 2005).]
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

+ Reply to Thread