Rather than paying a "we're assuming you're stupid and can't take care of your equipment" fee with the rod purchase for a built in replacement cost, I'd rather the rod companies give a small catalogue away with the rod detailing the cost of replacement sections for their rods (I'm assuming rods of different quality have different costs for one section of the rod, I could be wrong, but I doubt it).

This way, if the rod is broken because of poor quality control, they can feel free to do right by the customer, but if the customer was careless with their equipment, the company doesn't have to worry about a non-revenue generating portion of their business. Heck, they could even turn it into an area to make a small profit from.

I still don't see all these people that feel a sense of entitlement in the fly fishing world. The only reason warranty matters to most people making a purchase is that it makes them feel more secure in their (usually high dollar) purchase. However, I've always thought a lifetime warranty was excessive. I like the 2 year limited warranty offered by St. Croix on their premier series. If your rod breaks after 2 years of use, it's probably not faulty workmanship or materials.

As far as rods that DON'T have a warranty, I like the looks of the Okuma rods I've seen at Academy Sports and they're only $50. I also don't think I've ever heard anybody complain that their Pfleuger fly rod doesn't come with a warranty. Granted, those aren't top end fly rods that you will win a casting competition with, but we're talking about fishing, not casting.

One last thing. Didn't people just get their rod repaired rather than replaced before warranties came around? Seems like the people hurt most by warranties would be the local rod builders and repairers. Just my opinion. Thanks to JC for letting me express it here.

------------------
"With luck, it can be like quitting drinking without entirely losing the sense of fun you learned while you were smashed." - John Gierach