+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Streamer technique questions - Miracle Mile

Default Streamer technique questions - Miracle Mile

Oh boy, just got a couple vacation days that may coincide with good, rare, winter weather here, at the end of this week. We're going to hit the N. Platte Miracle Mile in Wyoming. We've never fished it before, and we'll be wading. The browns should be starting to move right about now.

So, my question -- how do all y'all experienced folks fish streamers on big rivers? I'm from small river (i.e. 'crick') country in Colorado and don't know much about it.

I'm thinking of rigging up a 12 ft. sink tip on my dry line (the Cortland sink tip kit) with a 9 ft 3x leader and some big muddlers, buggers, and leeches, and figuring I can always add some lead to get down faster, or ditch the sink tip if needed too. My buddy Ralph insists on dry line only, with a 9 ft leader plus long 15 ft tippet, with strategically placed lead.

I'm counting opinions, and your input would be helpful. Sink tip? Full sink? Dry with long tippet and lead? Other? How would *you* fish the Mile in late fall (mmmm, weather's feeling more like early winter these days).?

All opinions helpful, and thanks in advance!

DANBOB

This time of year the water is low. Fish a brown or vanilla conehead bugger (bite me bugger) on a floating line with a 9' leader and a large split shot abut 12" above the fly. Case upstream and "swim" the fly by lightly lifting the rod up and down to impart action. Also, try fishing it totally dead-drift under and indicator about 6 or 8 feet and either no split shot or a couple small ones. You can fish two flies with this arrangement, good choices to go with the bugger are otter eggs, orange scuds, or red midge larva.

A sink tip or head will work in the bigger holes but the water is kind of "pockety" up there I think you'll do better with the floater, the heavier lines will tend to drag on boulders in places. Personally, I've done a lot better on the Platte fishing a floating line, your experience may vary.

Check with the guys at North Platte fly shop for conditions and flies. They have a great website. If the mile is slow fish the reef. Be ready for some seriously cold angling you'll want gloves, tons of fleece, warm hats etc. the wind is brutal up there.

Best,

-John

[This message has been edited by ktokj (edited 07 November 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread