+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry suits for fly fishing

Hybrid View

Default Dry suits for fly fishing

Having taken a chilly swim/sit in a Blue Ridge stream today, I am wondering about "sealing" a waterproof top to my chest waders. Two piece kayaking dry suits fold the top and bottom together to form a semi sealed suit. Kayakers need a well sealed suit for survival but the kind of slip that ended my fishing today could have been OK with even a semi-seal between a waterproof top and my waders.
    Finally, I will have a dry change of clothes in the truck in future trips.

Rich W

Question

Rich W,
    Would one of these Spray Tops help?: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG
    Maybe a Neoprene Top?
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Yep, that looks like a possibility. I also found this (http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...74&deptid=1172) from Northwest River Supply. It's possible that a pullover rain jacket worn over the waders and secured with a wading belt would be good enough to stop a bucketful of cold water flowing into the waders.

Rich W

Rich W,
    That Drytop looks good and it is also on sale!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Cool Nothing

like a 'swim' or dunk in cold water to make a believer out of one. Little things, like wader belts, nice tight cuffs on jackets, extra set of clothes in the vehicle....nothing can match the feeling of really cold water rushing over the top of your waders and quickly finding all the nice warm parts of your anatomy.....

(Not that that's ever happened to me of course.)
    Last edited by LadyFisher; 01-10-2009 at 02:17 AM. Reason: duh

Just remember if you seal the top of your waders, when you fall the air can't escape, which will make your feet want to float to the surface. This may keep your upper body below the surface, creating a potentially dangerous situation. I myself would rather be wet.

v/r

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by fototrout View Post
    Just remember if you seal the top of your waders, when you fall the air can't escape, which will make your feet want to float to the surface. This may keep your upper body below the surface, creating a potentially dangerous situation. I myself would rather be wet.

v/r

Bill
    Been there... done that...still here though.

i to took a swim last spring it took me dam ner a hour to get out the drive home was real cold

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Been there... done that...still here though.
    will you be so lucky the next time??

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fototrout View Post

v/r

Bill
    Flotation when horizontal in the water is a good thing. Air, or no air in waders, won't make a difference if you are wearing neoprene. As someone that fishes the surf in Montauk, NY , I can tell you confidently that the drytop style of jacket is a great way to go, especially if there's a chance you'll wind up in COLD water.

Just my .02, of course.
    Jim

Born to fish - forced to work.

+ Reply to Thread