+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Mustad Planning to Shaft Us, Replacing the Standard Hooks

Quote Originally Posted by RJD31 View Post
    I have been utilizing Mustad hooks for approximately 20 years, and am going to place an order for some of their Signature Hooks. However, their Classic 9671 Hook is 2X long with the Signature R73 equivalent being 3X long. Also, their Classic 9672 is 3X long with the Signature R74 being 4X. If the 9672 wasn't a true 3X then why would they replace it with a hook that is supposed to be a proportional 4X instead of a more accurate 3X? Is it recommended to dismiss attempting to reference the new to the old versions? Thanks.

Ron
    Let me try and explain again. There was no set rules in the standard "Classic" fly hooks meaning there were no specifications saying a 2X strong hook was XYZ in diameter in a size 12. It was a bit subjective. In the Signature range, because everything is proportional, all hooks are based on a set of master specifications for the entire range. So let me use some fictitious numbers in an attempt to explain.

Let's say a Classic hook in size 12 had a wire diameter of 0.65mm and was listed as a 2X strong. Well in the new Signature series that 0.65mm wire diameter for a size 12 is classified as a 3X strong. REMEMBER, these are arbitrary numbers for example sake only. So in the original Classic series it was called 2X strong but in the new range it falls under a 3X strong classification. Same goes for lengths. We didn't take a hook that was 2X strong and say, "Hey, let's bump up the wire diameter and then call it a 3X strong." That is just how the measurements converted over from the Classics.

Hope this helps to answer your question.
    Last edited by Dr. Fish; 01-26-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: typo

I like the new Signature hooks. They tie up easily. They've kept me (fairly) sane so far this winter, and off the streets. I look forward to fishing them come spring (it is coming, right?!?).
    Last edited by Betty Hiner; 01-26-2009 at 02:52 PM.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Just wanted to update folks. It came to our attention that Cabela's had listed the new hooks in their catalog and the website without the full model numbers. They had left off the Classic hook reference in the model number, making it hard for customers to know what they were looking for (showed R75 instead of R75-79580). To their credit, we contacted them yesterday and less than 24 hours later they have made the needed changes to their website and now display the full model numbers for each hook. Of course their catalog has already been printed so we can't fix that but their website is now correct.

Thanks doc,,, again proving the speed and power of the net. Glad we were to have a place to update this. Go Mustad,,, you guys rock!

Gandolf said "The standard Mustad hooks are not in this years Hook and Hackle catalog".

That is true but Hook & Hackle has said on their website that for as long as they have stock of the original hooks in boxes of 100, they will continue to sell them if you ask for them. So, if you feel you can't do without them and aren't willing to go to the Signature model, just order up a bunch of your favorites from H&H while they still have stock!

Ron

I would just like to throw in here that I just purchased a bunch of the new Signature hooks in the 50's boxes, for a class I was giving. I've been tying on them for the past couple of weeks now. I'm now a fan of the Signature Series hooks. I'll be testing the heck out them over the next season, but so far... A + . My local shop only has the small packs. I'll be pushing him to bring in the bigger ones now.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

What about 34007 and 34011 models?

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    What about 34007 and 34011 models?
    The 34011 is being discontinued and is replaced by the S74SZ-34011.

The 34007 will continue to be sold as a very small part of their sales are to fly tiers. The premium version ofthe 34007 is the new S71SZ-34007.

Default We have 'em on our website

We are still selling the Classic Hooks in the 100 packs and they're 10% off. Some of the competitors will not restock, but we will as long as Mustad has them in their warehouse. We do, of course, have the Signature Series in the 50 packs at 10% off too.

BUT HERE'S WHAT I'LL DO. USE THE "FAOL" KEY CODE FROM RIGHT NOW, 4:46PM EST THROUGH Thursday 26th AT MIDNIGHT, AND YOU'LL GET AN EXTRA 10% OFF. I JUST WANT TO SEE IF YOU FOLKS ARE PAYING ATTENTION! I always order hooks on Wednesday morning, so if you want to avoid backorders, order this evening.

Ron

And my hooks and theads are on sale through 5pm thursday, too. You'll even get an extra 10% off of these.
    Last edited by hackleman57; 02-24-2009 at 08:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread