I thought the article was alright, it just seemed like it was accusing all people who look for the warranty of just looking to get over on the rod companies, and being too lazy to figure out how to take proper care of a fly rod.

I think that assumption is disingenuous to most of the people who buy rods with the warranty as a factor in their buying decision. Most of the people I've seen post about breaking their rod (myself included) said they'd be perfectly happy to pay for necessary repairs if it was their mistake. People like the ones you described in your article, from what I've seen on this site, are generally few and far between and generally don't have the gumption to stick with the sport.

I began fly fishing with a $30 rod. Once I realized I could cast farther with a higher quality product, I moved up to a St. Croix Premier (a good quality product for a reasonable price, with a limited 2 year warranty). I was very happy with St. Croix's product, so when I found myself with some extra money, I bought a Legend Ultra. If it weren't for the warranty, I probably would have stepped down to something more reasonably priced that I wouldn't have enjoyed as much. Was the warranty my only reason for buying the LU? No, but it certainly played a role in the decision.

When I broke the LU three weeks later, I sent it to St. Croix explaining how I had been stupid and I explicitly told them what happened and that I realized it was my fault the rod was broken. I asked that they send me a bill for the repairs, and two weeks later I got my rod back with no charges besides the standard processing charge.

Does that type of service make me more careless with my rod? Heck no! I am EXTREMELY careful with my LU. Does it increase my loyalty to St. Croix? DEFINITELY. When I get my 8 wt for the salt I will be looking at a St. Croix first. (I may have to check out the TFO TiCrX series though, they felt pretty good to me when I checked out the 8 wt).

I can understand what you are trying to say in your article, but again, I think the people you are talking about are in the minority (in the sport of fly fishing anyway). Those people who buy a rod ONLY for the warranty are most likely buying TFO Series I rods. I know if warranty was my only concern that would be the first company and series I would go to.

By the way, if any of you are wondering, I don't have a Sage or Scott or T&T not because they're more pricey, but because I was unable to find the local dealer when I was buying my rod, so I couldn't judge their performance next to the St. Croix, G. Loomis, and TFO.

------------------
"With luck, it can be like quitting drinking without entirely losing the sense of fun you learned while you were smashed." - John Gierach