+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How big is 'big' ?

Default How big is 'big' ?

A post yesterday got me wondering
    Just how large (honestly) is a 'big bluegill' ?
    Here in CT a fish that is a minimum of 10" and 12oz. is considered a trophy and properly documented will get you an award pin from the state.
    Last edited by dudley; 01-09-2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: 'cuz there's a big difference between feet and inches ;)
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Hi Dudley;

A ten foot bluegill is "big", seriously I think any bluegill at least ten inches long is big anywhere!

Wayneb

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    A post yesterday got me wondering
    Just how large (honestly) is a 'big bluegill' ?
    Here in CT a fish that is a minimum of 10" and 12oz. is considered a trophy and properly documented will get you an award pin from the state.
    Come on down. I can put you on 10" bluegill...............................all day long! Watch for a story about that coming soon(I hope).
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I don't need to go anywhere
    I can do that right in my own neighborhood
    I'm just wondring what you consider 'big
    If a purist ever tied into a big gill they'd poopie in their silk panties.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I've been chasing bluegills with the fly for a long time and after thousands of personal encounters I have these indicators of size:

Dink: Anything a hardware fisher would have the same size of in his box with treble hooks hanging off of it.

Little Brother: Bigger than a Dink but smaller than a "Whoa". Usually you utter "go let your big brother know I'm here" when releasing one.

Whoa: Anything I have to put my rod between my legs or better yet on the ground because I need two hands to handle. Easily identified by yelling out "Whoa..." so all those around you will look and admire what you just tempted with your meager offering.

Moby: Anything requiring someone come help me because I don't want to lose the rod, risk breaking the rod, or I need a net.

The above words have been carefully selected so they can carry over the water so all those around you can congratulate you (or in the case of a dink) take a photo prior to release.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

I agree a 10" bluegill is darned big, and something of a rarity around here. I might suggest that 9" bluegills be considered BIG. I wouldn't put a 10-incher on the wall, but maybe one 11" or better.
    I know the 10-inchers are around, but I made a proposition last year to the members of the fishing club I belong to. If anyone could put me on a 10" bluegill in 2008, I would give them a suitable prize. I caught over 800 bluegills this past year on the fly rod, a few were 9"+ but none that were 10". The last time I caught a 10" bluegill was in 1990!
    I've heard guys say its easier/more common to catch an 8 lb bass than a 10" bluegill. In the past 2 years, my personal biggest was 9.5". Obviously I fish in the wrong places.

One of our club members did post a picture of an 11" bluegill he recently caught ice-fishing, and another member several years back caught 3 bluegills that were 12" or better each at a farm pond one day. He had all 3 mounted. Those are true Giants!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    I don't need to go anywhere
    I can do that right in my own neighborhood
    I'm just wondring what you consider 'big

O......................K. Just trying to be nice with an offer to fish. I'd say 10-12 inches is big. Those to the South of me yet might say 12-14".

I'd say this is a pretty good one:

Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 01-09-2009 at 02:25 PM.

That's a good-lookin' fish there!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

That is a golf course pond. Here's another picture of the pond and another fish from it. I became a member of the country club(was 'only' $80 a month) .......................just to fish the pond! Nice course but their greens sucked .

Oops, can't find picture of the pond.

Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 01-09-2009 at 03:08 PM.

The further north you go shorter the growing season and smaller are the fish. 10" Bluegil in Poconos is a big fish.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread