+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nymphing: Different Styles?

Hybrid View

Default Nymphing: Different Styles?

Lately I've read a few different things that mention various types or styles of nymphing. Names such as Polish, Czech, American, Spanish, etc. have popped up. I'm really not a nymph fisherman. I'll do it on occasion, but I'm not good at it in any sense of the word. These different names have me scratching my head more than usual with this type of fishing. Can anybody give me a list of the different styles and explain them in everyday english for a poor nymph fisherman.

Thanks
    Jeff
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Uncle Barry Guest

Good morning FF.
    I understand some of the forms of nymph fishing, the American one, sorry I have never heard of it.

As a thought, maybe it is a case of the Federal Government just throwing money at the fish and praying to get a return ?

And back to these different forms of tricking fish with a nymph.

Each method has a common factor and that is to fish WHERE fish are and NOT cast to anywhere in the stream or lake. As simple as it may sound, most people cast out and hope a fish finds the fly, where with each of these methods the angler casts into the location be it even 3 feet by 3feet in area AND how to fish these locations.

To you or anyone wishing to increase their catch/hook-up rate of most freshwater fish, I would suggest that they obtain and read, at least twice, a book because the first time, it is pure information overload for the human mind and this book makes a angler really think of all the missed chances of hooking a fish.

The book is,
    Masters of the Nymph.
    Publisher: Lyons
    First published in 2002
    ISBN: 1585747041
    Author: Wright, Leonard M.

The book has chapters from the World's Masters of nymph fishing and their methods and how they apply their method to finding and tricking fish.

I would go so far as to further suggest that this book is a must have for any angler.

Kind regards,
    UB

Thanks. I'll have to check that out.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Jeff -

I could be wrong, but I believe that the Polish and Czech methods are the same, or at least very similar. Haven't heard of the Spanish method, but am pretty familiar with one we use around here, which I suppose one could call the American method. Guess word hasn't made it to Down Under yet ??

Anyway, as I understand the Polish / Czech method, it is a "close quarters" style of nymphing using a combination of flies cast upstream of the known or suspected lie / target fish and kept under close control as the flies drift into the lie / target's position. I believe the key to it is using a heavily weighted nymph at the end of the tippet and a couple nymphs above it tied off droppers at the appropriate depths.

From what I've read about the Polish / Czech method, it is used in those 3' x 3' spaces mentioned by Barry. The upstream casts are typically very short, the drift very short, and the recast, if there is no take, quick. This method lends itself to faster, riffled, and shallower water. Some of the accounts I've read make it sound like the fly fisherman was practically standing on the trout's tail when he started the cast ??!!

That method is very good for certain types of water. Totally useless ( maybe unusable would be a better word ) for lots of other situations where you would want to nymph. Not too many places I fish lend themselves to the Polish / Czech method. Bigger water and deeper and slower runs involve longer line nymphing with one or two nymphs with or without an indicator - not standing right behind the target and flipping a cast a few feet upstream.

The Polish / Czech methods would be worthwhile learning if the water you plan to fish lends itself to the flies and techniques involved. Otherwise, it might be interesting from an academic point of view, but not very useful.

My guess is that if you google Czech nymphing, you'll find enough information to decide whether it would be worth buying a book on the subject. Here's a link that will help you get started -

http://www.globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/czech/

Didn't read the article, just scanned it and it looks pretty good, so if it is significantly different than what I described above, go with the article !!

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 01-09-2009 at 04:10 PM.
    The fish are always right.

Uncle Barry Guest

Good afternoon JS.

"but am pretty familiar with one we use around here, which I suppose one could call the American method. Guess word hasn't made it to Down Under yet ??"

Here in this country, Australia, we are rather lucky in fact most anglers are searching around the World looking for ideas and or concepts than can be used here or modified for our locations, if there was a special American way of nymphing, we would have some knowledge of the subject.

And now,
    As you know all about this American nymphing method, would please expain the details of the method to me.

"I believe that the Polish and Czech methods are the same, or at least very similar"

Thats about correct as they are almost the same, in fact I would class them as all the same.

"close quarters" style of nymphing using a combination of flies cast upstream of the known or suspected lie / target fish and kept under close control as the flies drift "

In the above forms of nymphing there is never a cast, no cast at all is ever used.

The leader only is out side the rod's tip, and the flies are lowered down into the selected location. The leader being a straight section of monofilament.

"The upstream casts are typically very short, the drift very short, and the recast, if there is no take, quick."
    Again, There is no cast !
    Just a reach out is the best way to descibe the situation, then as the leader is level with the caster, the rod is raised and then lowered as the fly drifts past the angler.

Ideally 10foot rods are the rod of choice, however even 8footers can be used.

"I've read make it sound like the fly fisherman was practically standing on the trout's tail when he started the cast ??!!"

You have read, only read ?
    Then you haven't applied Czech nymphing to a stream yet, have you ?

100% correct about almost standing on their tail and the odd thing is the fish don't run away...please don't ask me why, as the fact totally amazes me.

"The Polish / Czech methods would be worthwhile learning if the water you plan to fish lends itself to the flies and techniques involved. Otherwise, it might be interesting from an academic point of view, but not very useful...etc"

Sorry John you have made me laugh with your statement,
    because,
    how can you judge something or anything when you don't understand the method or concept and therefore would never be able to select the correct location for this method of fly fishing.
    You are being totally unfair to yourself and the other readers.

Kind regards,
    UB

Just a thought by who I do not know,
    "Our wretched species is so made that those who walk on the well-trodden path always throw stones at those who are showing a new road. "
    Last edited by Uncle Barry; 01-09-2009 at 07:42 AM.

For a good, simple description of many styles of nymph fishing - pre Czech and Polish - check out Charles Brooks' book, Nymph Fishing For Larger Trout.

Randy

+ Reply to Thread