+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jungle Cock Substitute

Default Jungle Cock Substitute

I heard from a friend of mine that one could use ringneck pheasant cape feathers somewhat overlapped to represent a sub for jungle cock eyes. Has anyone tried this? Do you have a picture so I can get some idea of what the technique is, or how it looks before I go buying another skin to add to the collection?

Thanks in advance.
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ROR-EYE View Post
    I heard from a friend of mine that one could use ringneck pheasant cape feathers somewhat overlapped to represent a sub for jungle cock eyes. Has anyone tried this? Do you have a picture so I can get some idea of what the technique is, or how it looks before I go buying another skin to add to the collection?

Thanks in advance.
    There really is no good substitute for Jungle Cock, and it is usually a waste of time and money trying it. If you want Jungle Cock then you really need the original feathers.

Over the years many people have tried to come up with substitutes, but I have only seen a couple which looked good, they were still not as good as the real thing, and often just as expensive;

https://www.lakelandflytying.com/273...ubstitute.aspx

You can make eyed feathers using practically any suitable feather and putting a dab of paint on it. Hen hackle or starling is often used.

Here is the method for using pheasant feathers;

TL
    MC
    Last edited by Mike-Connor; 01-07-2009 at 10:09 PM.

3. Default

A couple of other tips. Don?t use sealant, use clear waterproof glue ( NOT SUPERGLUE!!!) I use UHU for things like this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHU

once you have the feather prepared dab a spot of enamel paint on the feather to simulate the "eye".

TL
    MC

4. Default

This substitute has been made by putting dabs of paint on black hackle feathers;

This bird is now protected in its native jungles. A fair number are bred in captivity, but there is still some illegal traffic. A CITES certificate is required for these bird skins. The one below is partly used. I still have a few of these skins, and I do use the feathers now and again especially for some seatrout flies.

TL
    MC

5. Default

This substitute has been made by scanning a real jungle cock feather, and then copying it in whatever sizes and amounts are required to a file, and then printing the result on plastic film using a special ink.

TL
    MC

6. Default

By the way, you can do this yourself if you want, just using white paper. Once you have printed up a sheet of jungle cock eyes, just cut them out ( You can also stamp them out with wing cutters):

( Shown on the right, the tools on the left are wing burners).

Available here;

http://www.hookhack.com/tyingtools.html

After you have stamped them out, treat them with UHU or similar glue. The glue soaks into the paper ans makes it waterproof, and also gives the result some "gloss" like the real thing.

TL
    MC

You can also buy imitation Jungle Cock Eyes from Hook & Hackle

http://shop4.mailordercentral.com/hookhack/searchprods.asp 9JCE1 Jungle Cock Eyes S ImitationPlastic jungle cock eye substitute. 24 per pack. For sizes 10-12.Special Pricing Available$1.80

Bill
    Last edited by Celltech; 01-08-2009 at 01:23 AM.

8. Default

Here are the images you need to do that;

You can resize them in a graphics program as desired. You end up with strips like this to print out;

You can also paint the whole sheet with some waterproof varnish, ( and let it dry of course!) before you stamp them out.

TL
    MC
    Last edited by Mike-Connor; 01-08-2009 at 01:41 AM.

9. Default

I had a few minutes spare, so I made up some more images for you to use;

To resize the images you can use practically any image software.

I used this freeware program for resizing;

http://www.irfanview.de/

It will also print the images. Of course you need a colour printer to do things like this! But any coloured ink printer will produce good results.

TL
    MC

Default Guinea Fowl Trick

Not sure if it was mentioned yet but a good substitution for jungle cock eyes can be fashioned out of a natural guinea fowl feather. Dick Talleur mentions this in his book "Pretty and Practical Salmon Flies". A single dotted guinea fowl feather can be cut (or "burned" out using a tool) into shape with the quill running down the center. Make sure one of the dots are in this cut-out tho

-Logan

+ Reply to Thread