+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not FF, but our beloved old Cocoa has left us.

Unhappy Not FF, but our beloved old Cocoa has left us.

Our dear old 15 year old Shepherd/Chow mix,Cocoa, has left us. Contrary to what some may believe of the breeds, she was the gentlest dog I have ever seen. All our Grandchildren's 1st words included "coke", "dog", or something to that effect. They all climbed over her, played with her WHILE she was eating, played in her crate with her, pulled themselves up on her (yes, even 15 month old Mike!), & NEVER anything but "love & licks" for those little ones. Our newest Great Niece, Emma, was here Friday & Cocoa "positioned" herself BETWEEN that child & her parents, as she has always done....watching over the children. Truly a special dog. She had been diagnosed with bladder cancer in September & given 3-6 months to live. In addition, the hips went. Thank God for St Paul (Flybinder), as he suggested Glucosamine, which got her through the Holidays, but this morning, Cocoa could not rise, although she tried her darndest.
    Many a tear was shed here today, and 24 year old Maggie (she has had Cocoa since she was in 3rd grade), my bride Colleen, & I took her to the vet. They were wonderful, comforting, & helpful. She went very quickly & peacefully with her head in my hands. Two months ago, my wonderful friend Keith (FAOL's Wirebender) offered to have Cocoa buried on his farm. When we arrived with her, Keith had the grave almost completed, & we laid her to rest. She was wrapped in Maggie's "Muskingum College" blanket that Coke would lay on in Mag's room & we buried her with her collar, leash, a favorite bandana, & her "Kong" toy. Maggie shoveled in a fair amount of soil, & Keith & I finished up.
    When oldest daughter Molly told our little 4 year old fly fisher Tori that Cocoa was going to Heaven, Tori asked "Who will lift her up there, Mommy?" After Molly answered that God will, Tori told her Mommy that Aunt Maggie needed to stop by so she could tell her she'll only cry for a day. Maggie is there as I type this. Following are a couple pics:

Cocoa at 14 years old

4 year old Erika with Coke (2 years ago)

We will miss her terribly, but what GREAT memories we have of her & her unconditional love.
    Sorry for the ramble,
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Default Words Are Not Enough

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I wish there was something I could say to make it all go away. Having talked with you I know how much she means to the family, I feel your loss and emptiness.
    call me when you can
    Dave

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Mike,
    I'm so sorry to hear about Cocoa. When I had to let Gypsy go a couple of years ago it was the folks here on FAOL who helped me through it and I know they will you too.
    Phil

Blog Entries

Mike

My heart felt condolences go out to you and yours...

Man I am sitting here with tears in my eyes and my dog Fischer looking at me with his jaw on my knee.

Hopefully god will bless you with a new source of unconditional love..

Ray.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

5. Default

Sorry to hear of your loss. I found quite a few poems that reflect how we feel about our pets and how they might view us as 'masters'. Maybe this will be of some comfort:
    "There aren?t enough words or ways to say how much our dogs mean to us. "
    A Dog's Prayer
    Author: Unknown
    "Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of mine.
    Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.
    Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear. Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.
    Keep my pan filled with water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.
    Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing, and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.
    And my friend, when I am very old and no longer able to enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I shall leave this Earth knowing with the last breath I draw, that my fate was always safest in your hands... I will always be your BEST FRIEND."
    The Power of the Dog
    By:Rudyard Kipling
    "There is sorrow enough in the natural way
    From men and women to fill our day;
    And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
    Why do we always arrange for more?
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    Buy a pup and your money will buy
    Love unflinching that cannot lie--
    Perfect passion and worship fed
    By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
    Nevertheless it is hardly fair
    To risk your heart to a dog to tear.
    When the fourteen years which Nature permits
    Are closing in asthma, or tumour or fits,
    And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
    To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
    Then you will find--it's your own affair--
    But...you've given your heart to a dog to tear.
    When the body that lived at your single will,
    With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!)
    When the spirit that answered your every mood
    Is gone--wherever it goes--for good,
    You will discover how much you care,
    And will give your heart to a dog to tear.
    We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
    When it comes to burying Christian clay.
    Our loves are not given, but only lent,
    At compound interest of cent per cent.
    Though it is not always the case, I believe,
    That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:
    For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
    A short-term loan is as bad as a long--
    So why in Heaven (before we are there)
    Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?"
    "The Rainbow Bridge
    Just this side of Heaven is a place called The Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
    All the animals who had been ill or old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
    You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling to each other in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
    Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together........"
    Author Unknown

Dub

Mike,

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Our best thoughts with you..

Steve Molcsan & Family

Default Best friend

Sorry Mike, and I know there aren't words to make the hurt go away. It will be 8 years come May 17 that my black lab Buddy went on ahead. Even now and after all this time, not many days go by that I don't think about him.

MontanaMoose

Mike,
    Having gone thru this all I can say is our Heart's ache's for you. We are so sorry.
    Bill and Jean

My thoughts are with you and your family. I have been there a couple times myself.

Rocky

+ Reply to Thread