+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Okay To Move for Fishing or Not??

I'll give you the "conservative" reply. If ALL your priorities and ducks are "in a row" and you feel confident enough to follow your dream, GO FOR IT.

Mark

Uncle Barry Guest

Follow your heart,
    because
    you only live once.

Kind regards,
    UB

If as you say, your true addiction is the salt, you are not tied down, and you all ready have friends in the area.........then I say go for it. I just wish I could make such a choice.

As stated you only live once, hopefully maybe more.

If it doesn't work out, then make another choice. You appear to be a relatively young man.

Best wishes for either option!

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
    Before you make up your mind, go to Florida in August for a couple weeks and head out to the lakes for some fresh water fishing.

It's HOT, HUMID, and there are mosquitoes the size of small aircraft (not to mention rattle snakes, water moccisans, alligators, and any number of non-native creepie crawlies that can ruin your day.

My mom and dad live in Floridaz in the winter and love it but they're always ready to come back to Kentucky about the first of June.

Jeff
    Jeff,

While I have to agree with you that it's hot in Florida in the summer, but that's like saying dogs have bad breath. I mean what do you expect? The tradeoff is that we have absolutely great weather nine months out of the year. June and July are tolerable. Only August and September are bad for those who can't tolerate the heat and humidity.

I rarely encounter mosquitoes (I'm not sure where you go when you're in Florida?). Rattlesnakes? Yeah, we got 'em, but I've yet to see one outside of a zoo. Water mocassins? Ditto.

Us Floridians don't come on here speaking badly about Kentucky. Why do you want to bash Florida?
    Steve

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trout-Dawg View Post
    Okay after 10 years off/on in the Rockies chasing Trout, this Georgia boy is debating moving to Florida in the Tampa area this Spring. Very tough decision seeing how I love the Rockies but my true addiction is Saltwater for sure!

Family and a few fishing buddies live in the area and trying to coax me so we'll see. Would you do it? No kids, no commitments and self employed so as long as I can get a job I may do it. Anybody have any tips on helping on my decision or anyone in that area tips on living in Central Florida. Yep I know it gets Hot, but Denver gets chilly so it all evens out~

Thanks
    If Florida had rainbows, browns, brookies and dolly varden, it would be perfect. Saltwater fly fishing is great. I like to do both, so Florida is good for me. Largemouth bass, bluegill, speckled perch, oscar, Mayan cichlid and tilapia help sooth the time when redfish, snook, seatrout and tarpon aren't cooperating.

Good luck!
    Steve

CO if you got the Mtn man in you, or if you really long for Pirate day you had better head to Tampa for good.

No one here can make that call for you. Only you can. Here is what I recommend for you to do:

If you can afford it, I would recommend that you take some time and go visit the area you are considering. Don't just go for a week or two. Go and stay and really feel the area out and see how you feel about it. It would be a shame, and a lot of wasted money, to make the big move and then decide it was not what you thought it would be. No matter how young and independent you are, you are settled where you are and have ties with your friends and the area. Don't let other friends and family make this decision for you. This is a big step and you need to make sure it is the right step in the right direction. Make a visit to the area and look it over real good and get a feel for it. Now this next part will be hard to do, but, if you do make the visit to check out the area, don't go fishing! Fishing is what you want to do and you will feel more like you are on vacation and the excitement of the fishing trip will override the true reason for the visit. You already know the fishing will be great. What you want to find out is if the area is somewhere you want to live. I have made 2 moves to Florida in my life and the fishing was great! You can fish for saltwater species and freshwater species and both will be great! I guess I needed more space around me and less people and Florida is getting crowded and just was not for me. The heat and humidity is there, but, I do not mind heat. I hate being cold. So, for me, the fishing and weather was great, but, there were just too many people for me.

Make a visit to the area and really check it out before making the big move.

Good luck with whatever you decide and please let us know what you decide.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Red face thanks

I could use some warmwater wading right now, was on the Blue in 15' weather fishing all day on Sat,fingers still frozen

I moved to Montana because a friend of mine passed away and was buried out there in a hilltop cemetery overlooking the famous springs creeks of Paradise Valley. Figured it was as good a place as any to end up and I just might get in some great fly fishing in the interim.

+ Reply to Thread