+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oct late pictures

Default Oct late pictures

Man it is cold now, but fishing a few months back was great. Here are a few pics, can't wait for spring season just 86 days away.

A few from a local pond

Sweet! Do you fly-fish from your 'yak?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Nice bass! And nice, uh, pickerel? pike?
    Steve

all day long from the yak. I picked up a Humminbird finder for Xmas which will help target the fish some. I fished until the weather stayed under 45 and once I see some warmer weather I will be back out everyday. Mainly conventional fishing from the yak. It is hard to cast well from a yak with the fly rod. I am going to modify my rig to sit three inches higher for this spring.

Small pike.

5. Default

I have fly fished from my yak quite a few times. I have a sot (sit on top) that allows me to put my feet over the side while casting. Just gotta remember to keep that back cast up as the water behind me is a lot higher than when wading.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foxxtrot View Post
    all day long from the yak. I picked up a Humminbird finder for Xmas which will help target the fish some. I fished until the weather stayed under 45 and once I see some warmer weather I will be back out everyday. Mainly conventional fishing from the yak. It is hard to cast well from a yak with the fly rod. I am going to modify my rig to sit three inches higher for this spring.

Small pike.
    Why do you find is hard to cast well from a yak? I don't find it difficult at all. First, one of the benefits of a yak is that your very stealthy; the fish don't know you're there (provided you're not banging the yak and making noise). So, you don't have to be very far away from your target.

I rarely have to make a cast longer than 30 feet -- and that's quite easy from a kayak.

When we go to The Everglades, we're withing 20-25 feet of the shoreline and catching 250 to 350 fish per trip.

Most of my clients start out 60-70 feet away and I have to convince them it's OK to get closers. Their instincts tell them they've got to make long casts to be successful. It's just not so.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGibson View Post
    When we go to The Everglades, we're withing 20-25 feet of the shoreline and catching 250 to 350 fish per trip.
    Steve...you're not helping me with my severe case of "Shack Nasties".

Is it normal that this time of year is the best time to catch oscars? Are they spawning at this time of year?

Did I mention we've still got about 18" of snow on the ground, and at least 14" of ice on the lakes/ponds??
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    Steve...you're not helping me with my severe case of "Shack Nasties".

Is it normal that this time of year is the best time to catch oscars? Are they spawning at this time of year?

Did I mention we've still got about 18" of snow on the ground, and at least 14" of ice on the lakes/ponds??
    I don't miss the snow at all!

Best time for oscar is when the water level is down in The 'Glades. That's usually late October till about the end of May. When the rainy season starts, the water level rises quickly and the fish spread out.

I like December, January, February and March.
    Steve

this Kayak keeps me very low and I just find it hard to manage the line and cast with large flies. Like I had stated, I am going to boost my seat some to give me some more height when I sit. I am much to low to feel comfortable casting the fly. It should do the trick to get 3 -5 inches higher.

+ Reply to Thread