+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 minute epoxy glue?

Default 5 minute epoxy glue?

I'm prepping to build new rod and have question. Can Z-poxy 5 minute formula be used as glue for the reel seat and handle? Or maybe I should by "dedicated" adhesive?

Its gonna be St. Croix SC IV kit fromH&H.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

5 minute stuff will work just fine. Be ready to work a little faster than you would with regular 20 minute epoxy.

fishbum

You can use FC 5-minute AND as previously noted, be prepared to move quickly ... it is more like 3 minute epoxy in most climates.

However, since you are doing an SCIV kit (not inexpensive) you might want to really consider investing in a Rod Bond kit and doing it at a more relaxed pace that allows you to double/triple check everything AND clean up easier. Not to mention, it is a better bond.

TJ -

5 minute will work fine, however, I do not recommend it. It sets up to fast. I ruined a reel seat and grip one time using it. I made a mistake and quickly discovered it, but the 5 minute epoxy had already set up. I use 60 minute.

I don't think 5 min epoxy is waterproof. Better check it it out if you are going to use it. I have always used regular epoxy or preferably Rod Bond.

Regards Mike
    Inside every old man is a young man saying " what the hell happened "

Quote Originally Posted by Ricinus View Post
    I don't think 5 min epoxy is waterproof.
    I can fully guarantee that it is. I attach ALL my tip tops with it and they definitely get wet - soaking wet and all day long.

Of course, I still don't recommend it for gluing up reel seats and grips due to the small window of time to find/adjust for errors AND the fact that the bond is not as flexible nor as strong as Rod Bond.

I like 5 min. glue, but like mentionned before, you better be fast ; have all your pieces ready to go.

Lately I have been wanting to try gorilla glue; does anyone know if it works?

Take care,
    chris

I certainly don't want to come off as an elitist snot head , but why would you take something so simple and make it so hard? There are tested and true products made especially for this purpose. Why not use them?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    I can fully guarantee that it is. I attach ALL my tip tops with it and they definitely get wet - soaking wet and all day long.

Of course, I still don't recommend it for gluing up reel seats and grips due to the small window of time to find/adjust for errors AND the fact that the bond is not as flexible nor as strong as Rod Bond.

Hi Jim

I just went down and checked the 5min epoxy I have and it is water resistant, not waterproof. Does it make any difference- I don't have a clue.

Regards Mike
    Inside every old man is a young man saying " what the hell happened "

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    I certainly don't want to come off as an elitist snot head , but why would you take something so simple and make it so hard? There are tested and true products made especially for this purpose. Why not use them?

You are NOT being "an elitist snot head" - your statement is DEAD ON. For some reason that just absolutely befuddles me, people have been "going around" the proven technology for as long as I can remember. IMO, there is absolutely no reason to do so and every reason not to do so. However, it still seems to be the trend.

I second the opinion given by Betty AND would like to remind people that when (not if) trouble strikes, the companies that make adhesives and other rod crafting items ARE going to be there to help you out AND they will try to help solve your issues. Buy stuff at Wal-Mart and Lowes and you are going to be 110% on your own.

TJ -

+ Reply to Thread