+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carp specific fly line

Default Carp specific fly line

Well Rio has legitimized carp fishing finally. They must have thought that there were enough of us crazies out here to make a dollar off of the carp enthusiasts.

http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=140

Rick

Well all I can say is if they were going to market a line specifically for carp, they could have put one with a prettier mug on the box!

Default line

Interesting!

I read the description in a hurry ...but isn't that what we want for most of our fishing...not just carp?

I agree.I can't really think of any characteristic that I would want specifically in a line for carp fishing that I wouldnt want in a general purpose line.

Actually I commend them. Smart marketing. They have become a very solid player in the fly line game.

Next will be "technical carp" clothes, boats, hats, packs, rods, reels, ... how bout the newest carp lodge located on the Susky, only $4,000 a week, ... posted carp waters, Fly Fishing in Carp Waters magazine.......

Forgive me for being a little cynical,.. I agree that it is marketing to help in a down economy. It sems that there are not a lot of new people starting into fly fishing. Good equipment lasts a long time, so companies have to create some new stuff to entice the regulars into new sales. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by 8wt View Post
    Next will be "technical carp" clothes, boats, hats, packs, rods, reels, ... how bout the newest carp lodge located on the Susky, only $4,000 a week, ... posted carp waters, Fly Fishing in Carp Waters magazine.......

Forgive me for being a little cynical,.. I agree that it is marketing to help in a down economy. It sems that there are not a lot of new people starting into fly fishing. Good equipment lasts a long time, so companies have to create some new stuff to entice the regulars into new sales. IMHO
    I started this thread and carp are my favorite target species. I just meant to point out that carp fishing is becoming more and more popular in the States and for great reasons. Large fish that pull hard and most people have these close to home without a lot of travel.

8wt, if you go to England you will find most of the things that you kiddingly mentioned. I post on two carp specific boards, Carp Anglers Group (CAG) and the American Carp Society, you can google both if you are so inclined. Most major fly fishing magazines have had carp articles included the FFF magazine.

Carp specific retailers? Sure, check these out:
    http://www.wackerbaits.com/
    http://www.bigcarptackle.com/store/home.php
    http://www.resistancetackle.com/
    http://www.teambogash.com/
    http://www.enterprisetackle.co.uk/

I could go on and on, but I want you to know that carp fishing and fly fishing for them is here to stay. I was trying to make the point that manufacturers like Rio are taking fly fishing for carp from a fringe group to a main stream group. Just as there are bonefish, tarpon, bass, trout specific lines now we have a carp specific line. I'm happy indeed.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Wink

I am with you, 8wt. Convince people that they need specialized toys, then sell them those toys at a substantial markup. Ah, I LOVE marketing! Not.

Amazing how people EVER caught a fish without all these gee-whiz super-specialized left-handed brown trout rising to dry flies no larger than 16 and no smaller than 20, on water flowing 1.3 to 1.8 miles per hour, from left to right, on cloudy days with the air temperature between 65 and 77 setups. Oh, I forgot, there is a SPECIAL setup if you are more than 6'2" tall or less than 5'7", and you need to adjust the action of the rod and get a special line taper if you live south of 36 degrees of latitude (Coriolis affects presentation, you know). Next year, the lines will be calibrated for actual latitude, so you will probably need one for each river that you fish (I mean, above and beyond the river-right versus river-left lines) . And this year's stuff will be crap, of course, since the new stuff is so much better.

I resolved to be less cynical in 2009. I think I am doing well.

Clay, I am happy that you have found your niche, and that people have found you to sell you things.

Well, I'm not sure that they took a regular line of sorts, changed it's name and raised the price 'substantially.' I think the lines are about the same as any of their lines with equal features. Designed to drop a carp sized fly correctly at a normal distance. I see the length is shortened to allow more room for backing. Good idea too. There are many fish specific fly lines and I think this may be helpful to those just getting started.

+ Reply to Thread