+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Survival Gear?????

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Question Survival Gear?????

Do any of you keep survival type gear in your vest, Boat etc. I usualy have a lighter, knife etc. but was thinking beyound this.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

This is an interesting topic. Some think that if you are prepared you are a good boy scout others look at you like you are some kind of white supremicists waiting for the uprising of the zombies and are totally weird.

Myself, I am not nearly as prepared as I know that I should be. I usually don't even take matches with me. My self protection mode usually involves a pocket knife, some water, a power bar and a cell phone. I should get with the program more and be more prepared, just in case.

I just had this conversation with my wife who drives about 45 mins to work everyday in Wis. The roads suck some times and having a blanket or two in the car or in the boat (one of those that fold up very small and can be made into a poncho and have the reflective coating on one side) would be a wise thing. They mentioned keeping water in the vehicle, but don't ask me how you are suppose to keep water in your vehicle when the temps dip below zero many nights. If you need it, it will probably be frozen. You could keep it in a cooler and that might protect it for a couple of days.

Here's a good link if you want to do some research: http://www.ready.gov/?gclid=CNjA8t3-8pcCFSIgDQod4FEzDA

Default The Ten Essentials

Eric -

I got in the habit of carrying the "ten essentials" during my hiking days before I started fishing. Because they store nicely in the Camelback hydration pack that I routinely wear when fly fishing, I almost always have them with me. Since a map is one of the essentials I don't usually bother with when fishing, I'm really down to nine, and maybe a couple less than that in nice weather, like the extra clothing, and I usually carry drinking water rather than a filter.

Map.......................( of area to be traversed _
    Compass.................( and know how to use it )
    First Aid Kit.............( suitable to type and length of outing )
    Fire Starter.............( matches or lighter or flint or magnesium )
    Candle....................( to assist in starting a fire )
    Knife......................( one of those multi-function type )
    Headlamp................( LEDs are light and light forever )
    Extra Clothes...........( adequate for an overnight stay )
    Extra Food...............( for one more day than you plan to be out )
    Water filter or purifier.( and some kind of container )

In some places I'll also carry bear bells and bear spray, knowing that they are not necessarily going to provide much protection. But having them helps maintain a sense of "bear awareness" ( or other large and dangerous animal awareness ) which is the best first line of safety in such places.

All this adds maybe 6-8 pounds to what I carry strictly for fishing. Good exercise.

John

P.S. One of those really loud whistles would be a good idea - need to get around to getting one one of these days.
    The fish are always right.

Carried in/on a pack when fishing:

Small First Aid Kit
    TP (1/3-1/2 roll squeezed flat)
    Space blanket
    Small flashlight with extra batteries
    Disposable poncho
    Travel size insect repellent
    Magnesium fire stick
    Full size Leatherman
    Mason's twine (100yds)
    32 oz water
    6 oz Bourbon (for medicinal & celebratory purposes only)
    Stainless steel whistle on a lanyard

Optional to surroundings and familiarity with the area:

.40 Glock with three clips worn on the hip where accessible.
    GPS with your starting point programmed in before starting out.

This list presumes you have dressed appropriately for the day and looked at the weather forecast. You should be able to make a fire, stay dry or dry out, and make a simple shelter from branches, boughs and the strong twine. You will stay hydrated, protected and be able to alert a search party as to your position with the whistle as well as annoy the wildlife if you become injured or lost and in the dark.

For close-in fishing trips this should suffice until daybreak. For pack trips the list should be expanded to allow for more than an overnight of inconvenience.

Duh, I forgot the most important thing. Always let someone know where you will be and when you are expected to return. At least they'll know where to look for the body.
    Last edited by Joe Valencic; 01-03-2009 at 11:47 PM.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

hutjensmpg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post

I just had this conversation with my wife who drives about 45 mins to work everyday in Wis. The roads suck some times and having a blanket or two in the car or in the boat (one of those that fold up very small and can be made into a poncho and have the reflective coating on one side) would be a wise thing. They mentioned keeping water in the vehicle, but don't ask me how you are suppose to keep water in your vehicle when the temps dip below zero many nights. If you need it, it will probably be frozen. You could keep it in a cooler and that might protect it for a couple of days.

]
    Clay - I carry in the back some things in the car just in case, especially on longer drives.

Good boots in case I need to walk, a heavier parka in case I have a shorter winter jacket on, heavy mittens, extra hat, blanket, long underwear bottoms, tin cup, granola bars, and one of those 24 hour survival candles that come in a can with waterproof matches. The flame doesn't burn very high (so hopefully the seats don't get lit on fire), but it would keep the inside of a car warmer and the tin cup is for melting snow for water.

All this fits in a medium size duffle.

nighthawk Guest

Well, I realy am, to say the least, shocked at you Veterans of the Military. How could you forget THE MOST IMPORTANT MILITAERY INVENTION EVER! The P38 and big brother P51 can openers are absolutely essential to any survival kit. This is the original U.S. Army Multi Tool! Take a look here:

http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/page52.shtml#p51

Don't make the ill advised assumption that this item is no longer useful due to vacuum sealing and easy open cans. Come on Vets lets get with the program here and help take care of the uneducated.

Seriously, here is a very short list of the functions this tool performs and performs them very well:
    • 1. Can Opener
    • 2. Seam Ripper
    • 3. Screwdriver
    • 4. Clean Fingernails
    • 5. Cut Fishing Line
    • 6. Open Paint Cans
    • 7. Window Scraper
    • 8. Scrape Around Floor Corners
    • 9. Digging
    • 10. Clean Out Groove on Tupperware lids
    • 11. Reach in and Clean Out Small Cracks
    • 12. Scrape Around Edge of Boots
    • 13. Bottle Opener
    • 14. Gut Fish (in the field)
    • 15. Scale Fish (in the field)
    • 16. Test for 'Doneness' When Baking on a Camp Fire
    • 17. Prying Items
    • 18. Strip Wire
    • 19. Scrape Pans in the Field
    • 20. Lift Key on Flip Top Cans
    • 21. Chisel
    • 22. Barter
    • 23. Marking Tool
    • 24. Deflating Tires
    • 25. Clean Sole of Boot/Shoe
    • 26. Pick Teeth
    • 27. Measurement
    • 28. Striking Flint
    • 29. Stirring Coffee
    • 30. Puncturing Plastic Coating
    • 31. Knocking on Doors
    • 32. Morse Code
    • 33. Box Cutter
    • 34. Opening Letters
    • 35. Write Emergency Messages
    • 36. Scratch an Itch
    • 37. Save as a Souvenir
    • 38. Rip Off Rank for On-the-Spot Promotions
    • 39. Bee sting removal tool (scrape off w/ blade)
    Those of you traveling into the wilderness or through hazardous weather conditions really should consider carrying one or two "Heater Meals" in your vehicle or your pack. Heater Meals are fast becoming the new military M.R.E. (Meal, Ready to Eat). Heater Meals are easy to use and provide lots of energy in a low bulk meal:

Check them out here:
    http://www.heatermeals.com/cart/

You can buy them several places including Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops. If you are diabetic you better be carrying a source of glucose with you to prevent diabetic shock along with whatever insulin supplies you may need. Oranges and their juice are a wonderful source of glucose and vitamins.

Blog Entries

Default Add the "Spot" to your survival Gear...

This did not happen to me . I say again this is not me, however...

I borrowed this from another BB I visit, and only did so to illustrate that the "Spot" is spot on so to speak.. It will be traveling with me from now on..

I was hunting in little smokey on September 26th, 2008 when I rolled my quad down a hill, I was going less than 5kph. The rev limiter on the quad would not let me back up the hill. I landed on my stomach facing downhill into a downed tree and the quad lander on top of me. I could use my cell phone but 911 could not access the gps function. I cut through my new coat, managed to get to my SPOT and activate it. The Houston emergency operations center was able to contact emergency services and my wife. My brother who I had been hunting with found me first and within minutes an operator from a nearby plant arrived along with several other hunters. Shortly thereafter STARS and an RCMP chopper arrived. Long and short I spent 3hrs under the quad trying to keep the blood going to my legs. 5 days in the University hostpital and $170 for a machine that saved my life.
    Did I mention that I had bought the SPOT the night before? This machine is definately worth the money.

Thank you to all who were involved.;
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Blog Entries

Default P38 P51 -

Sorry Eric but I now carry my Leatherman Tool, and it can do all of those things and more..

Now believe me I am not dis-loyal, If there was nothing better out there I would still use it, but my LMT has saved the day more then once...

I do have a couple of P38 but no P51... guess the CDN Army did not trust me with it..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Blog Entries

Not unless I am more than a couple miles from my vehicle, or in an area that I hiked into.

Default my little kit for the pontoon

This is what I take when we do floats on our pontoons.

GPS
    Survival Kit with fire starter, matches tinder, signal mirror, whistle, emer.blanket, 100' para cord,8'x10' tarp, a good first aid kit of my own making(with a little help from a paramedic friend)
    Gerber all in one tool(Hatchet-saw combo (its small and fits in the bags of the pontoon
    2 MRE's
    extra batteries
    water purification system
    plus all of the equipment that you have for the boat

In my vest/pack
    70 oz water bladder
    Leatherman Wave
    LED headlamp
    2-3 power bars
    space blanket
    small first aid kit
    mini survival kit with matched, fire starter, whistle

for the kits, I usually buythem at Sportsman warehouse and improve on them to get the finished product that I want.

And what I forget, my friend brings.....I never thought about the medicinal whiskey and/or brandy...thats a fine idea....

+ Reply to Thread