+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this good for the fish?

Before I saw the video I thought I would hate it, but it really does seem to be a well intentioned method- and well thought out. Still, like JC, it doesn't get me excited enough to throw out my flyboxes and jump in. It does still seem like snagging, and I noticed that the demo shows J hook releases done without hemostats or other tools like Ketchum, etc....so it is not so subtle in its bias. I liked the advantages of softer more lifelike flies, esp multis, but I guess I'm a little to much a traditionalist to chnage. Thanks for the link though!

I agree that it looks very similar to fishing egg beads in Alaska. The key difference here is the use of the circle hook. I've only recently begun to look more closely at these hooks since I'm starting to do some inshore saltwater fishing but they should be good for freshwater as well. The key to the circle hook is the fish must turn so that the fly catches the corner or some edge of the mouth. It simply will not set the hook if the fish doesn't turn. The method here relies on that and that the line will remain in the fishes mouth so that it catches the outside edge. Note how when they drag it across any other surface, it will not hook.

The method looks interesting, but why not just make your flies in the traditional method on circle hooks? You won't foul hook fish, and will only hook them in the corner of the mouth rather than the tongue, etc. The same tool can be used to release the fish or something similar like a Ketchum release. I've posted an example of a clouser Half & Half tied on a circle hook with the hook shown above the fly (Its a Mustad 39954BLN size 2/0 for those inquiring minds).

The thing that really struck me was the use of a softer material to build the fly on. I agree that the fish would probably stay on a bit longer with the softer material. But I have enough problems tying on a hard hook, much less something that wants to flex as I'm tying. Perhaps they plan on making their money selling flies. It will be interesting to see how this catches on. In the meantime, I'll continue exploring circle hooks as they become more readily available for fly tyers.

TxEngr
    Last edited by TxEngr; 01-04-2009 at 05:37 PM.

my worry would be any damage caused by the nylon dragging across the fishes mouth before the hook takes hold, I'm sure we alll know how tippet material can cut (and deep)

+ Reply to Thread