Some general info on where certain feathers may be found on skins, wings etc.

Wing Coverts The small feathers which cover the bases of the primary, secondary and tertiary feathers. They are also called 'tetrices' (singular 'tetrix') and are present on both the upper and lower surfaces of the wing, forming the 'upper wing coverts' and 'under wing coverts' (or 'wing lining') respectively. These feathers are arranged in four bands, namely (from the leading edge of the wing) the 'marginal', 'lesser', 'median' and 'greater' coverts

When looking at wings from the same bird, it often seems that one is larger than the other. This is an illusion caused by the position the muscles and sinews were in when the bird died. When the wings dry, the wing becomes stiff and immobile.

As I find the time, and dress the relevant flies, I will include pictures of the individual hackles used, but I don?t want to start pulling wings and skins apart just to photograph them!

Scapulars . One of the feathers which cover the shoulder of a bird, namely the area where the upperwing joins the body.

There are a very large number of body feathers from various birds used for fly-dressing.Of course, one must know where to find them. The diagram below should help.The most common areas for selecting feathers are the Neck, ( nape), Throat, Breast,Back, Rump, Flank, Thigh,and Tail. It should be noted that many game and other birds are skinned by splitting them down the front! So breast feathers will of course be on the upper right and left of the skin, and flank feathers on the lower left and right!

TL
MC