+ Reply to Thread

Thread: '09 Elkhorn Bamboo Challenge

Hybrid View

Great posts, and I love the whole thread. I started from the beginning yesterday and have finally caught up. Thanks for the great effort on this whole project. I will be sure to stay up to date from here on...

looking forward to the upcoming highcountry lakes posts this summer!

ed

HI THERE HLF a little too quite on the other site?

Hi FG,

Your right. Everybody else must be busy fishing. Its still winter here, though... So i'm still online!

ed

Quote Originally Posted by Henrys' Lake Fanatic View Post
    Hi FG,

Your right. Everybody else must be busy fishing. Its still winter here, though... So i'm still online!

ed

Don't know about the fishing part, but the Pyramid part is getting a little overwhelming. It is like a little club now and I just don't fit in. ya know?

I do..but you fit in everywhere I see you post IMO. Great info, all the time!!

ed

Hi John,

Great shot of the spinners. I can see why the olive water cricket works so well.

- Jeff

Default Henry's Fork

The South Fork is running close to 17,000 CFS in the stretch I normally fish. The "why" is that Palisades Reservoir is at about 85% of capacity ( holds somewhere around 1.2 million acre feet ), the snowpack in the mountains that drain to the Snake and the South Fork is well over 100%, so they are making some room in Palisades for run off by sending a lot of water downstream much earlier than usual.

It is good news for the agricultural folks, and for all of us who depend on the Snake River Plain acquifer for our well water. Not so good for a lot of the fishermen. If there is a silver lining, it is that I'll have to spend more time on the Henry's Fork before run off hits it in a few weeks, and maybe I'll start getting the hang of it.

Spent from about 10:30 to 4:00 trying to learn more about Henry's Fork below Chester. Huge numbers of midges in the air the entire time. A pretty good bwo hatch about 1:30 but it didn't last very long. Saw all of three fish up that entire time.

Looks like the next wildlife I see while fishing is going to be a SKUNK. Didn't get skunked today, but I seem to be working my way in that direction.

First place I fished, after about five minutes, I landed an 18" cuttbow. That was one of the most ungodly fish in the system. Couldn't believe how beat up it was. Looked like someone had used a cat-o-nine-tails on him for a while. Don't think I've ever seen a fish that looked so worked over. Give him credit for a good fight - guess he wasn't ready for another whipping ??!!

About five minutes later, I had on another pretty good fish - and lost it.

That was it. The only excitement after that was snagging the bottom any number of times and seeing the indicator take a dip. Wow.

So, going from eight fish in hand, to three fish in hand, to one fish in hand, seems to be a distinct trend which leads to 0 fish in hand. I did ask Kelly ( kglissmeyer ) for some pointers and we'll probably be getting out together fairly soon, so I may avoid getting shut out ..... ??

It wasn't much consolation, but the two other fly fishermen I talked to weren't doing any better. One left after an hour or two and was skunked. The other one had two on and didn't land either one. I saw a couple guys with a drift boat hit a nice spot before I got to it, and they had a double right off, and then nothing. Saw a couple more drift boat teams, and didn't see them get anything. And a bait fisher that I talked to also got skunked.

One of those days.

John
    The fish are always right.

Default Henry's Fork sounds like...

....Hat Creek in a way John. Hey, great report
    and glad you got some action. If I may be so
    presumptuous as to suggest tech to an ff'er of
    your calibre, I'd try something like an RS2 or
    other tiny bit of emerger fluff presented across
    and down.

Short story: at Hat Creek one day, many ff'ers
    present, none turning fish, but of course fish present...
    I chose a place nobody ever bothered with on the bank and
    began swinging little tiny stuff on 5x...bingo...and boy did the heads
    turn...(of the ff'ers) as I quickly played up and released about an 18'' brown.

Glad too that yer getting out in spite of releases on the south
    and hey, yeah !...you'll have that Henry's dialed in no time.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Default May in SE Idaho

Winds out of the WSW at 33 mph gusting to 55. Not a good day to be out on the water.

The weather should be settling down here in the next day or two. Thinking about hiking up to Aldous Lake ( elevation 7500' ). Not sure the road will be open and the trail passable, but if they are, it could be a very interesting outing.

Last fall I got a couple of these at Aldous. And I know there are lots more and lots bigger cutts to be caught - if you do enough things right.

Stay tuned.

UPDATE 5-13-09 - The county road was in good condition all the way to the forest boundary. About half mile past the forest boundary, there was still a lot of snow on the road, and it would only get worse higher up. Will likely be at least two weeks, maybe more, before the road is clear and the trail is passable.

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 05-13-2009 at 10:18 PM.
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread