I've fished God's Lake about seven or eight years ago, but I couldn't tell you the name of the lodge now. With that much elapsed time and undoubted changes in management, any review I post would be a waste.

However, the fishing we had was fantastic-- for pike. We weren't able to do the brook trout thing because the alternate site had burned. Running out of the main lodge, we caught pike, lake trout, walleyes, and pike.

The guides were native and not sportsfishermen, so they tended to go where they'd caught fish in the past and fished the way they had in the past. We tended to spend a lot of time running to remote bays, which is OK as it's beautiful country. However, we also passed up a lot of fishy looking water...

The best fishing we had came after the day had ended and another guy and I took a boat to a bay near the lodge and caught pike on topwaters on virtually every cast. These weren't small fish, either. Most of them were in the eight to 10-pound category. I caught my largest pike, a 44-incher, and we caught a bunch over 36 inches.

I came prepared to fly fish for trout, but I wasn't prepared to fly fish for pike, so all of my experience there came on gear.

Keith