+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera Buffs Question

Hybrid View

Default Camera Buffs Question

I am going to buy a camera. My two choices are Pentax Optio W60 waterproof and an Olympus Stylus 850 waterproof. The obvious difference is $100.
    Give me your input please. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

http://photo.net/equipment/point-and...olympus-1030sw

Not the exact models you asked about but a good read and besides it was written by a friend of mine so also a bit of shameless promotion on his behalf.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I'm still happy with my W-30. Oddly, it quit focusing right after I bought it, not positive it ever was perfect. Sent it in, returned in about 20 days total. Happened again soon. Again sent it in, again, returned in about 20 days. Fantastic repair service. Point is,,, it works great now and has ever since. It still has all the features I want and I do not expect any problems. It is not a back-up camera,,, it is the only one we use.
    Please don't think this is against the Olympus, it is that several of my friends use the Pentax, W-10, W-30, or W-60.

Jim -

I've got the Olympus 850SW and very much like it. Nothing against the Pentax Optio cameras, but I like the waterproof plus shockproof plus freezeproof features of the Olympus.

Also, it is really easy to navigate the Olympus. Lots of features and modes and I thought there was a pretty short learning curve on the 850SW.

No problems at all with it in about seven months of regular use. Nice size, has a nice heft to it, and looks good on top of all that.

You've seen a lot of pics I've posted with it and I'll let them speak for the quality of the images and color reproduction. Oh well, what's one more than I just put on photobucket ??

Getting back to the Pentax - in the right hands it can do super pics. If you take a look at some of 7x's stuff, which I am pretty sure is all shot with a Pentax Optio, you might find yourself between a rock and a hard place making a decision.

John
    The fish are always right.

nighthawk Guest

If you are looking for higher quality enlarged images, say 8x10 and up, then the combination of 10 mp, 5x optical zoom and image stabilization give the nod to the Pentax. Even though the megapixel count is just about dead even the better optical zoom of the Pentax will mean higher quality enlargments than the Olympus since the Pentax can zoom in tighter on the subject, near or far. Also right now SD-HC memory is cheap, very large capacity and speed wise smokes just about all other forms of removable memory including the xd used by Olympus.

Other than that I'd say it's a horse race between the two makes. Both are excellent cameras with pluses and minuses. I would say you will be pleased no matter which make you decide to buy. I must also say that I have always been biased towards Pentax.
    Last edited by nighthawk; 01-01-2009 at 10:11 PM.

John,,, I may be wrong, but I think my Pentax has those features you mentioned. (then again, maybe not)

Wink Image Stabilization Features

jimsnarocks ................
    Don't put to much stock in the image stabilization features on the point and shoot cameras.
    It is NOT like the systems in the DSLR's.
    In the point and shoot cameras, all they do is increase the shutter speeds and use a higher ISO when you activate this option. This leads to higher noise levels which are really noticeable.
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

Blog Entries

We have several generations of the Olympus Stylus, 720, 790 and the 850. Warranty work has been fantastic and the photos very good. The thing that struck me positively about the 850 is how fast the shutter is. Shutter lag frustrates me terribly with the earlier models, hence the 850.

Underwater shots and video have been better than decent on the earlier models. We took quite a bit of video this summer on the boat and it was far better than expected, though the sound was nothing special.

I know the Pentax lag time is also much reduced in newer models, but the 850 seems instantaneous, so any differences can only be minor.

http://www.cameralandny.com/ is the place to buy it. Doug, an owner, has been a fishing buddy of mine for many years. He understands the only way to stand out positively as a camera dealer in NY City is with service.

Tell him Art told you to call and he might not hold it against you!
    art

Default cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
    http://photo.net/equipment/point-and...olympus-1030sw

Not the exact models you asked about but a good read and besides it was written by a friend of mine so also a bit of shameless promotion on his behalf.
    I had not considered the Olympus 1030 but that review got me thinking. That is a nice camera and affordable (in my price range) Thanks Kerry. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I used to subscribe to a couple of the photo magazines back in the 70's and there were tons of "camera shops" with full-page ads of the major manufacturers, cheap. After a not-so-pleasing purchase, a friend in the business (photography) advised that these companies, including Adorama, were notorius for selling "Grey Market."

Is this still a practice? I notice the W60 is really cheap (at Adorama) compared to a local shop in the Mall.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread