+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NYD at Rocky Ford Fish-In (Almost)

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Smile NYD at Rocky Ford Fish-In (Almost)

New Years Day at Rocky Ford Fish-In (Almost)

I got up early this morning at 4 AM, and headed out at 5:30. A cold hard rain was pouring down and I knew there would be lots of snow in Snoqualmie Pass and all of eastern Washington. I had about 200 miles to drive to get to Rocky Ford.

Tiger Mountain between Auburn and North Bend wasn't bad, just heavy slush on the road. I pulled onto I-90 heading east and the rain was really coming down hard, with the wind blowing it at about a 45 degree angle.

The snow started just east of North Bend and very quickly turned into about 18 inches of pure white stuff. All the big trucks were pulled over getting their chains on. Visibility was rather poor and sometimes the road was hard to see. Kind of like being in a blizzard in North Dakota, something I experienced just last month.

The traffic came to a total stop just about 7 miles from the summit. We sat there for 45 minutes, then they started turning everyone around, we had to head back west on I-90. They had closed the pass due to high risks of avalanches and they were going to have to wait until daylight before they could even begin to assess the danger.

So, I had to miss the fun at Rocky Ford. Too bad too, I had a freshly baked apple pie and an Oriental Chicken Salad that I was taking over for the pot luck lunch.

I sit here now, a fresh cup of Starbucks Sumatra coffee on my desk top and a piece of apple pie in front of me. Boy, is that pie ever good.

Maybe next year for the New Years Day Rocky Ford Fish - In, the pass will tell.

Meanwhile, I have to take another bite of that pie and a sip of Joe.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Thumbs up Cascades

Larry -

Your post reminds me of all the great days I spent wandering around the central Cascades between Mt. Si on the west side and Mt. Stuart on the east side and north up to Mt. Daniel.

You must have been turned around just about exit 42, I think it is, where you exit for the trailhead to Granite Mountain ?? That used to be one of my favorite hikes. Along with a bunch of others in the area !! Beautiful country, but more fun, for some at least, when there is no snow to contend with.

Too bad you didn't get to Rocky Ford. But thanks for the report on your early morning outing.

All the best to you for '09.

John
    The fish are always right.

Aw Sage,,, thanks so much for the details of your venture. Darn shame you couldn't make it with the rest of the guys. It will be interesting to hear from them too.

jeffw,
    did you go to RF today?
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Well, NYD at de Ford didnt happen this year. Woke this AM to more snow, saw that the passes were closed and figured my westside friends would not make it. Got the shovel out to clear the sidewalk and driveway and the phone started ringing. Folks cancelling. Decided to stay home and spoil the dog.
    Forcast calls for more snow in the next few days, but, I'll try to make it over to the creek. I got some 24 bwo's that need to be fished!
    Sage, glad you made it home ok, and are enjoying my pie! *G*
    Joe, Jeff called yesterday to let me know not to expect him.
    Linemender.. get a 4x4!!

Happy New Year friends!

Z

Ya, come on you guys! Details! Pictures! BS! At least let us know you made it back safely.
    OK,,, so I was one minute late! Glad everything is safe and sound. Go get 'em next time...

+ Reply to Thread