+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help

Default help

when tying my hurl,peacock,i am careful but always seams to break whats up and always keep stuff in bags help

Something that will help is "twist" your Herl with the tying thread, spin the thread and herl together than wrap.
    Something I do from a "Suggestion" by Al Beatty is to turn my Herl into "Premium" Herl by Steaming it for a few seconds.
    Pass it back and forth thru some steam coming out of a Tea or Coffee Pot, once it start's "Fluffing" up its ready,
    I do this about every 6 months or so.
    Something else is to buy it from a dealer that has a High turnover.

I am a new tyer and had the same problem. I overcame that by twisting the herl and being careful on how much tension I put on while wrapping.

Got the "tying soft hackles" DVD by Sylvester Nemes for xmas and he shows tying herl in by the center and doubling it over. He also twists the herl. all together seems to create a stronger herl bundle. I know in the past it's seemed to me that herl was most brittle at the ends.

Wayne

You can also use a "dubbing loop," especially when you are using multiple strands of herl.

When you have the herl tied in to the point you want to start wrapping it forward, make a loop with the tying thread shorter than the length of the herl. Using a dubbing loop tool - the simplest for this approach is probably an electrician's clip - catch the end of the loop with the tool. Then catch the herl with the tool, between the legs of the dubbing loop. Spin the clip to tighten up the loop and then wrap forward.

This is an easy way to build bulk, if that's what you want, and also makes for a very durable fly.
    The fish are always right.

Normand Guest

after evening the tips of the herl, trim the butt ends back a bit and tie the butt ends down and wrap forward.

Blog Entries

I am glad to read this thread. I have had a lot of trouble with quality herl. Some of it is too thin, and extremely brittle. I get very frustrated with it. I do not know who carries a better peacock herl than what I already have. The one I have though, and all that I have seen, are very low quality. I will try to dub it and see if that helps, great suggestion.

thanks for the tips

+ Reply to Thread