+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something wierd......................

Hybrid View

Default Something wierd......................

I really enjoyed our Lady's article this week, and the insight into one of her "other" interests. It got me to thinking that we all have things other than fishing that occupy our time and interest. Especially in the winter time. What do you do to satisfy your creative side? I'll start with one of my favorite hobbies. Jump in!!

These are tie-tacs/hat pins, that I carve from elk and deer antler, and paint with my wife's toll paints. Now, if I could only do this without smelling up the basement with the smell of burning antler.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Cool Really?

How very neat is that! Nicely done. Thanks so much for sharing it.
    Come on folks, what else is lurking out there (we can't let Joe and the bread makers have all the fun).

nighthawk Guest

Thumbs up Great post!

Lew,
    That is awesome!

As you all know so well I love photography. Well Mrs. Claus gave me the okel-dokel to get a new Sigma 70mm-300mm zoom lens with Super Macro just before Christmas. I thought this is great because I can use this lens with my other winter time hobby of star gazing. The winter night sky really is the best sky for observing and photgraphing the Heavens. Well, I have been grounded by a very stubborn infection and now I cannot get outdoors. So I guess that for now, until I heal, I will just hang out on the board and try to behave myself.

Well, my winter time hobby is getting all my bamboo rods out on the bed,
    mixing all the sections up, and seeing if I can get them all assembled correctly,
    while being blindfolded.

What fun!!

My wife thinks I'm a little strange. Can any one tell me why she would think that!

BobbyG
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Those pins are awesome! I'm not going to bore you folks with more of my food pics, but I am looking forward to seeing what other hidden talents are within our ranks that are not necessarily related to fly fishing. Furniture builders...artists...writers...stained glass...ceramics...quilters...crafters...I know there are a bunch of amazing people out there.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

nighthawk Guest

I did bake a loaf of Ginger White Bread in my bread machine the other night. Joe, I really owe you many thanks for inspiring me to control my diabetes by baking my own diabetic bread. You helped get me eating healthier. Thanks buddy.

White Ginger Bread:

BREAD MACHINE GINGER BREAD

INGREDIENTS

* 3/4 cup water (70 to 80 degrees F)
    * 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    * 2 tablespoons honey
    * 1 teaspoon salt (can be left out for low sodium diets)
    * 2 1/2 cups bread flour
    * 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (I prefer a full teaspoon)
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

DIRECTIONS

1. In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed).
    Last edited by nighthawk; 12-31-2008 at 02:43 AM.

pziickd_1.JPG

pziickd_3.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG

I build 1/35 scale WWII armor and 1/48 scale WWII aircraft. The whitewashed one is a Panzer II C, Russian front, 1941. The grey one is a Wespe (Wasp) tank destroyer, Western front, winter 1943 (click the thumbnails to enlarge...I didn't know the photo option here worked like that..cool!!!)
    These aren't scratch-built..they're plastic kits.

Ken
    Last edited by ausable_ny; 12-31-2008 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Clarification
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Blog Entries

Lew, those pins you carved are great!!!! Very interesting thread. I paint when I have the chance -- some wildlife scenes (birds mostly, usually waterfowl), some Native Canadian (Woodland style) themes, and a few of past/present Labs (usually head studies with ducks in mouths). Nothing great but kills the time when not actually fishing, tying flies, or reading about fishing. Or on the Internet. Or writing -- learned a long time ago that being an artist is a very hard way to make a living ("starving artist" is not just a catch phrase) -- now I am trying to figure out how to make my living out of fly fishing -- including writing about it. Oh well, guess I won't starve doing that -- can always eat the odd fish now and then (what is it they say, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.").
    "No matter how complicated life can get -- remember life is sometimes like fly fishing; after turning over every rock in the river trying to "match the hatch", you have probably spooked every fish for miles -- so don't let the "little things" BUG you -- just enjoy whatever you find." Mike Ormsby

Lew's carved fish prompted me to show my carvings too.

I carve faces in sticks.

Nice work, Lew. I haven't tried antler yet, maybe someday.

TwoWeight

Thumbs up Wow

Don't really have anything to contribute in the way of art or craft, just wanted to say WOW. There's a lot of really neat stuff on this thread. Thanks for getting it started, Lew.
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread