+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pa float tube regs

Default Pa float tube regs

Does anyone have any info on using a float tube in Pa? I have read the regs, and even asked a GW about, do you HAVE to wear or HAVE accessible a pfd when using a float tube in Pa. Neither gave a law statine that a pfd must be worn or even accessible. Can anyone shed some lite on this? Thanks

Normand Guest

this says you must wear one

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...n/fishing.aspx

this one too

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/fishpub/...cproperty.html

for the sake of safety, why wouldn't[/b] you wear one?
    Last edited by Normand; 12-31-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Default Wear the PFD

Back in the summer when my head was in the water and my feet in my float tube I thought about pulling the yellow tab on my pfd. I escaped drowning without it but the thought crossed my mind and I was glad I had it on.

In GA you have to have one with you, but why lug one around instead of wearing it?

Here in CT I got stopped by a CO one time before I even made it into the water
    It hadn't even occured to me that I was required to have a PFD in a float tube.
    Here, just as it is with any other watercraft, having one but not wearing it would be perfectly legal, but that in in my mind is not very logical
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

thanks for the info. in ohio a float tube is not even considered a watercraft, so no pfd is required. thanks again

So much can go so wrong so fast that you really should have a policy of wearing your PFD from water's edge to water's edge. I've reached to age where I think I am also going to start wearing mine even on a pure wade outing. I never have mine off in the kayak, regardless of water depth or speed.
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

tealswatr,

You may want to visit you Ohio Regulations and read them. They do state that a PFD is required on "Mannually Propelled Watercraft" and they list canoes, kayaks, rubber rafts, etc. No, they do not list a "Floattube", but, it is Mannually Propelled and an agent may write you up. There is just too many "loop holes" which would allow them to write you up and if that happened, it would just ruin your day on the water.

Just providing this so that maybe you will not get written up and nothing more....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

warrenp; ohio requires a pfd to be on board. not to be worn , unless on certain size boats and ages. i use to work for the enforcing agency.

Default You never know when you'll take a spill !!!

Bob, ... I changed over to a Mustang inflatable so I use it while wading all the time. I'm not sure if it's Coast Guard approuver as a PFD in US or Canada. I believe so.

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/produ...hp?id=172&mc=5

Edit:
    Ooops ... From the Mustang web site:
    "The MD1165 (Deluxe Inflatable Fisherman Vest) and the MIV-10 (Inflatable Fisherman Vest) do not carry approvals from either Transport Canada or Canadian Coast Guard."
    Last edited by fcch; 02-06-2009 at 03:54 PM.
    Christopher Chin

As a kid, I remember being stopped by game guys from time to time in my inflatable boat. Never had a PFD and my folks long since stopped trying to regulale my time on the water. It was more like trying to control when the sun rose in the morning

not only did I never get in trouble but often got invited to go netting with them on fish sample days. or at the least half hour of where the fish should be that time of year.

Not to say that it is ok not to have a floation device, I just never wear one and never have. I guess being surprised that you are required to wear one is a matter of how you were raised. Or in my case left to my own.

some great stories about getting that boat back and forth on my bike but those should go somewhere else I imagine.

+ Reply to Thread