This is nothing new but I decided to research a little about the actual age of our sport. Knowing the ingenuity of the ancient Romans I just could not imagine them not copying or inventing ingenious ways of fishing.

Fish was an important staple of their diet but beyond that the Romans enjoyed sport for leisure. They especially enjoyed blood sport and fly fishing is a blood sport. Actually it is a very challenging blood sport and that would have appealed to the ancient Romans even more.

Well I am only one day into this and guess what? Yep, I am already reading about Homer recording that the ancient Romans "Fished with flies". Interesting. I cannot read any further tonight as it is getting late here so I will resume this in the morning.

What I would like to know is if you folks can help me out here? Sort of engage in a cyber conversation of sharing of information. I value the many communications and sharing that all have done with me here at FAOL. If anyone can recommend some good old fashioned ink and paper books about the Ancient Greeks and Romans fly fishing I would appreciate it. Actually any books about the past eras, not modern, of our sport that anyone can recommend would be great.

Please feel free to jump in here and post your thoughts, suggestions, tips and or ideas.

Thanks all.