+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas Traditional II spey rods

Hybrid View

Default Cabelas Traditional II spey rods

I have already ordered this rod because it is on sale and I doubt for the sale price I am ever going to get a sprey rod in the future. My intention wasn't to purchase a spey rod at all but becasue of the price I added it to my order.
    Does anyone on the board have an experiance with this rod in 13' eight weight. Any information or advice with this rod would be appreciated.

Thank you: Grant

Sorry Grant I have not used this rod, but I have done a bit of spey casting and you are in for a real treat, you will not believe how far you can cast.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Thanks Mike, my next move may be to purchase a DVD on spey casting or at least get some lituature on it before spring. There are a couple larger north shore rivers that I'll be sure to explore with a spey rod, in particular the Nipigon river. Should be a great summer.

Blog Entries

The Traditional II line of rods has been out for about a year. They replaced a medium action rod named tradition and applied it to a fast action rod. There probably aren't a lot of people out there who have fished them as they haven't been on the market for long. you can be a the first and tell us what you think.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Eric, you're probably right, there isn't many who have fished them for sure. I thought if I would find anyone who has it might be on here. I'll know this coming summer, although I don't have any experiance with a spey rod, so nothing really to compare it by. Considering there short life span of the rod thus far I also wondered why they are at such a good sale price. The one I'm purchasing is around 35% off. But as I said, for the price...

Yaffle, check out speypages.com. It's a great site for everything having to do with spey fishing.

I haven't tried that rod, so I can't really say but I do recommend you take lessons or get some dvd's. Forget the books...they only make sense after you know what you're doing. lol. As far as dvd's, Rio has a couple that are very good, Spey to Z, and John and Amy Hazel's dvd's.
    It's definitely a lot of fun!

Yaffle
    Here are some web videos that may be helpful to you:

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/a...php/f-103.html

Good speying to ya
    Max

I've always like Cabela's rods. I cast my friend's Cabela's spey. It's a good one for the buck. As for the DVDs, I had the same problem with the spey DVDs that I had with the fly casting ones: they didn't answer many basic casting questions - like selecting the right line for the right situation, where to set the anchor, the difference of setting the anchor when casting in still vs. moving water, etc. - and as a result I really struggled. I heard the Rio 3 disc DVD is very good.

P.S. Rio's website has a great chart for matching the fly line to the rod.

Randy
    www.flyandspincasting.com

Congrats on the purchase of a 2 handed rod. I hope you enjoy it. When you start casting your new rod remember these 2 words that my mentor would repeat to me often during my apprenticeship with the 2 hander; "SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!". The best casting advice I was ever given. To this day when my casting seems to be suffering from some unknown malady, I remember his words, "SLOW DOWN!" and almost every time I can fix what is wrong.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Smile

Thanks Guys for the good advise. I'll be sure to check out those videos.
    Slow down, shouldn't be too hard, I take things pretty slow on the stream as it is...
    At this point I just don't know what to expect, this was pretty much an impulse buy. It'll be a real learning curve I'm sure.
    Awe, it's what makes this venture so special isn't it, there's always something else to learn no matter what we already know or think we know.

-Grant

+ Reply to Thread