+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Fly Fishing Book

Hybrid View

Default New Fly Fishing Book

I've been reading a new fly fishing book entitled Muskies on the Fly. It's been a very enjoyable read during these cold winter days. Fires my imagination with thoughts of a huge fish on the end of my line fooled by a fly a tied myself. It's especially exciting since I've actually been in a situation where I had a fly rod in my hand & saw muskies in the water but wasn't quite sure what to do. Now I'll have a much better idea.

Default Muskies

I want to catch them also cycler, I have a 9ft. 9wt. and I'm wondering if that's adequate for the largest muskies...what are you going to try on them if I may? Guessing the book spells it all out too.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Can you cast a monster sized 6 or 8 inch fly with that rod?

Default 6 or 8 inch flies

Hello JC, well maybe...I think it would depend on how much air they'd grab and/or how heavy they were....6/8 inch wouldn't limit me casting them so long as they weren't too heavy and if they were just feathers once they were wet...presuming unweighted in that case though. Knowing you've fished over muskies of course, any ideas on the flies in the above regards please?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

That book talks about using flies up to about 14 inches in length and puts heavy emphasis on using a 10 wt. rod. I do have a 10 wt Fenwick & a Sage Largemouth rod in my arsenal but unfortunatly my flies top out at about 5 inches long, far too small for most musky fishing situations. I intend to make some in the 8 - 10 inch class and then go out and see how I do with them.
    That book also talks a lot about using water shedding synthetic hair to make the huge musky flies as easy to cast as possible.
    The only time a musky actually showed interest in my fly I was casting a tiny clouser minnow for yellow bass. The fly landed a bit behind the fish, he turned, took a quick look at it and lost interest. Perhaps a 4 - 6 inch clouser might have got him to strike. I'll never know.

Most anything I might understand about them I've seen on TV. Never have had the chance to cast over one. Was a childhood dream too,,, kept seeing those stories in Sports Afield and Field and stream. I think the 'cover art' is what got to me. Huge 'Muskies' shaking their gill plates, tossing water droplets all over. Wow; those were great days.

Default 10/14

Well, 9 is close to 10 but 8 isn't even close to 14...man cycler, you've got me wanting to come up with something in the synthetics for muskie...I will have to do some research then maybe take a drive where I know there are muskies...pike too...and supposedly tiger muskie.

JC, well you're way ahead of my learning curve but now that I reflect back to my days of reading Field & Stream, Sports Afield, I do remember talk about 'rattling gill plates'...or was that tarpon? At any rate, muskies and pike have been on my mind for a while now. I know this lake too...good for you in that you wouldn't have to buy an out of state license nor go far. Good for me in that I know right where it is having driven over it on a hiway 12 trip a few years back. Hey, I'll meet you there when the bite's on !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread