+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wings on adams flies

Default wings on adams flies

decided to tie a few adams and was wonderng how critical the wings are to the fly's fishability. Also, if they are critical, how do you properly gauge the size so that they look right?

Thanks,

Fish
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

Default Adam's wings...

I stopped putting wings on my dry fly patterns about 20 years ago now I guess...if I had to pick, I'd say the patterns catch better without wings.

Closest thing to wings on a dry I tye now is the post on a parachute pattern.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I have also given up on wings. I could never find a hackle point that had the right profile, and they just drove me crazy tying them in! Unless it's CDC, I don't ordinarily put a wing.

nb

I tie my adams with hen hackle tips for a more rounded shape. One way to measure the wing is to use a wing as long as the hook shank from the eye to the bend of a Mustad 9840.
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 12-28-2008 at 06:11 AM. Reason: typo
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Default Im reminded of....

Somewhere in the beginning fly tying articles here at FAOL Mr. Al mentions that wings on dry flies are mostly for the angler/visibility. I also believe I saw an article on the "footprint" a dry fly makes in the surface pressure of the water...Operative term being "foot" not wing on dry flys.

I of course defer final say upon "oh Great Professor of Poetry and all things Buggy" (Mr. Castwell)

Hey JC...just when you think no one was paying attention to your sage advice...

Just my opinion...I could be wrong, and usually am...Just ask my wife!

Quote Originally Posted by hugefish_80 View Post
    decided to tie a few adams and was wonderng how critical the wings are to the fly's fishability. Also, if they are critical, how do you properly gauge the size so that they look right?

Thanks,

Fish
    If you have decided to "tie a few adams " then you have to have wings. Adams have wings. If you want to tie some gray wingless mayflies then go ahead.

no wing = not an Adams

Thumbs up

I use hen grizzly feathers from a cape, yes they can be bothersome, but like anything else I suppose, after tying a few they become easier, good eye glasses help alot too...lol I also measure mine from the hook shank, eye to start of bend...

Smile

For those of the tiers that do use hen hackles I've think that those from Metz are more nicely rounded in shape compared to the popular Whiting ones that are too pointed.

Fish,

I tie all my Adams (and all the other dry flies, too) without wings. Like Moose, I found that, in the waters I fish, it doesn't matter to the fish a bit. Why take the time and trouble to find suitable wing material (or stress about whether you have the 'right' stuff), tie it in, get ti balanced properly to aviod twist, etc., when it just doesn't matter....Quite the contrary, I think the 'classic' style dry flies without wings cast and fish more consistently than the old fashioned winged ones. No worries about the fly landing on it's side, twisting because the wings became misaligned, or having the fly become unbalanced if a wing gets broken off....

And, it's still an Adams if you want it to be. All these things are just made up names with no understandable definitions. Call them what YOU want to. They are just flies, it also doesn't matter what they are called.

I really like an Adams tied with a grey craft foam body and Cree hackle. Floats like a cork and the softer body means the fish hold it a bit longer....more time to set the hook.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Default thanks guys

My main concern is whether or not the fish care that the fly has wings. from the responses recieved, it seems highly unlikely that the fish will know the difference.

the other question that I had was about determining the length of the wings. the consensus seems to be that the wing is based off of the length of the hook shank.

The only point of disagreement in whether I can call my flies Adams or not.

still would be very interested to get the opinion of J.C. on the matter of wings or not, as far as what I call them, it's my damn fly box and i'll call em what I want.

Fish
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

+ Reply to Thread