+ Reply to Thread

Thread: automatic fly reel help

Default automatic fly reel help

I just came into an automatic fly reel, soooo...

How do you get the fly line on it?

Thanks,
    chris

One way to do it: Assuming you are not using a backing. Tie a piece of strong mono about 2 feet or so to the fly line. Thread that piece around the spool and then tie a Pitzen knot. Pull it real tight and wind momo & line on spool. If using backing tie the backing on with the same knot.

Tim

Wind up the spring and reel in some line,,, then wind it up again,,, and again,,,

I used to have an automatic reel on a fiberglass rod. The reel was still too heavy for a good balance. In addition, the auto retrieve feature was OK for bass fishing where the fish doesn't run far, and you often are casting about the same distance each time, but was useless in situations where the casts were short, then long, then medium, etc., because pulling more line off the reel changed the tension of the retrieve spring between not enough and way-too-much.
    I suggest putting the reel on a rod to determine if you even might use it before you spend more time on this project.

Another thing to remember when using that automatic ... way back when I was first taking up with the fly rod and thought I'd give an automatic reel a try and I was reeling in with just a little line out and kept the reeling in too long, the lure caught on the first line guide and I snapped the tip on that fiberglass rod. For me that was the end of my automatic reel experiement.

Dale

Wind the spring tensioner and then hold the lever down to engage the spring. Feed the line onto the spool while under tension so you get even line distribution. If you plan on using backing, you may have to "rewind" the spring tensioner. (Check your spool to make sure you have enough room for a moderate ammount of backing first...) I don't think that you need to worry about busting a tip unless your spring is at full tension and you are winding in a few feet of line. Learn to moderate your pressure on the lever, it's not an on/off switch! And remember to release the tension on your spring when it's not in use. I used one a lot for bass and bluegills when I first started, but it got mothballed because of it's weight...
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

+ Reply to Thread