+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibility of fake flyrods?

Default Possibility of fake flyrods?

As with any product such as a pair of Nike or Adidas trainers,has anyone ever heard of a fake Sage or Loomis rod produced and sold as the original?

I never heard of such a thing but like you saw Rolexs,Movados,Nikes,Reebok,North Face Jackets and other Clothing.If someone of came to you while you were walking and offered you an Item and they look to be questionable,chances are they are questionable!I think if there are Fake Rods they will be on Ebay.There have been Fake Classic Reels posted for Sale on Ebay in the past so figure it's a matter of time before they start Counterfeiting Rods.It seems possible.

If they do it with golf clubs I can certainly can see it happening with rods. Buy Cane, custom made.. from the guy who builds them and you won't have to worry.

There have been more than a few fake Garrison's, Payne's, Gillium's and the like that were passed off as originals when the classic cane market went ballistic in the late 80's-90's.

Many of the attempted targets of the fraud were Japanese collectors who were after the cream of the crop and would pay almost any price for it at that time. The fraud even extended to tip sections of existing rods when the originals were broken or lost. I once had a reputable dealer attempt to pass off a Payne 100 as all original when one tip was clearly NOT.

It pays to know your makers; their construction methods and signature items so you don't get hosed.

Or buy rods in MY price range and care less.

Mark
    PS: But actually I DO abhor ANY type of fraud

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

I believe Loomis had a problem with their GLX blanks being counterfeited. They no longer offer them for sale.

------------------
    Joe

A counterfeit will have the brand markings. The counterfeit GLX blanks had the Loomis name on them. By not offering them for sale any blank you see with Loomis GLX marking is a fake. If your not sure of a blanks authenticity, just contact the manufacturer and ask about it. If it doesn't with brand marking or a decal it is most likely a second or blemish and will not have a warranty.

------------------
    Joe

several weeks ago there were dozens of Sage rods for sale on Ebay. THe vendor was from China and the listing had a couple of sentences in it claiming that the rods were genuine. At those prices I do not know how they could have been, but lots of people were bidding.

The answer is, YES it does happen. My rods were counterfeited by the chinese with the help of several unscrupulous dealers here in the US.
    splinter

The reason i posted this topic was because i live in South Africa,and Sage rods are usually imported directly or sold by one shop which sells them at a ridiculous price.
    A lesser known shop is now selling the Sage XP at a MUCH lower price.I have my suspicions.
    I contacted the Sage factory and they said a serial number is inscribed on the butt of the rod,but not on the other pieces(of a 4 pc)
    So how would i know if its authentic?

+ Reply to Thread