+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Regal Vise question

Hybrid View

I tie 26,28& 30's and all have chipped the midge jaw's on both of my regals and now they want 40 bucks for a replacement jaw, I would go with another vise if you are going to tie small flies
    G

Default regal

would that be because the tension is set too tight on the jaws? are they adjustable? My Renzetti tend's to wobble in the "rotating" part where it attaches to the shaft. Now this is about 6 years old, but still when you pay the kind of money that good stuff costs , it should work perfectly. These companies thankfully , are not building rockets. the equipment is simple in design and should work flawless. I really wish i had my own lathe and some other tools in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by flybugpa View Post
    My Renzetti tend's to wobble in the "rotating" part where it attaches to the shaft.
    This sounds like a simple adjustment would solve your problem.

Regal jaws have no adjustment - what you get is what you get. Have you seen the Regals with the stainless jaws? I've tied on one, and the jaws are much "pointier" than the other Regal jaws, even the midge jaws. Tiny hooks should be no problem. From what I've heard, the stainless version jaws don't chip.....

http://www.hookhack.com/vises.html#Anchor-REGA-25415
    Last edited by Heritage Angler; 12-25-2008 at 09:15 PM.

Normand Guest

i have a roughly 20 year old traveler that doesn't wobble a bit. maybe all yours needs is an adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    i have a roughly 20 year old traveler that doesn't wobble a bit. maybe all yours needs is an adjustment
    Maybe 20 years ago Renzetti made a decent vise, but now they have a tendency to fall apart?

I really am interested in the 'wobble' of that vise and how you deal with it. Perhaps call Mrs. Renzetti and ask her? Or Ray too.

Talking

flybugpa - here's another option for you:

Bring your vise to the Tulpehocken Creek. I'll adjust it so it doesn't wobble. If the adjustment doesn't fix the wobble, I'll buy you lunch. If it does fix the wobble, we fish the Tully and I'll buy you lunch.

My apologies to all the Renzetti fans out there, but I've never liked the Traveler precisely because the rotary mechanism seemed a bit on the weak side to me. Having said that, I've used a Regal for many years with no problems whatsoever, have never chipped a jaw, spat a hook, or had any other untoward occurrences with this fine vise. I do take care how I position my smaller hooks in the jaws, and am careful about releasing the jaws so that the hook doesn't shift position before the jaws close. As stated earlier in this thread, for smaller hooks position jaws in a near vertical orientation.

Default renzetti

Enough was enough, I took the whole thing in the rotating section apart, found a disfunctional "plastic, poly whatevermaterial" washer cleaned it up all the way with 1000 grit sandpaper, lubed everything with super lube grease reassembled, adjusted , works fine now, no more wobble. in the last couple months i think i have overhauled everything that moves in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by flybugpa View Post
    Enough was enough, I took the whole thing in the rotating section apart, found a disfunctional "plastic, poly whatevermaterial" washer cleaned it up all the way with 1000 grit sandpaper, lubed everything with super lube grease reassembled, adjusted , works fine now, no more wobble. in the last couple months i think i have overhauled everything that moves in my house.
    Commercial tying does that to a vice. Sometimes you just have to stop and perform some maintainece on your tools.

fishbum

+ Reply to Thread