+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carp flies

Hybrid View

Default Carp flies

The peacock bass and oscars were sure a lot of fun this year...but I must say the fish that has me in high anticipation for next season's fly-fishing is carp! Those fish are awesome fun on flies!

The fly that worked best for me was a #8 or #6 hex-nymph fly. But I keep looking for additional flies to add to my carp arsenal. The Carp Fly Swap this past summer was really fun to participate in.

One fly that has me intrigued is the Rainy's Carp Bread Crumb Fly. Except....I don't wanna buy one, I wanna TIE one. But the pictures on their website are so crumby (pun intended), I can't tell what the thing really looks like, much less what I need to use (or substitute) to tie it.

Does anyone have a recipe for that...or have one in their possession they could take a good picture of? I know there's a number of other bread flies out there, and I'll probably try/tie several of them as well.

Thanks in advance!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Default Love them Carp

Here's a site with 2 different bread flies.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/flytying/bread_flies.html

Also, here is the page for my fly shop's Carp selection. My favorite is the Lil Bugger Beadhead. You can tie them in all black, all white and all olive, but the 2-tone brown seems to work the best.

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/c-...aspx?pagenum=1
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

My best carp fly is the Clouser Swimming Nympth. It looks like there are a couple of ways to do the Bread Crumb. One way might be to just spin a wad of white deer hair (or tan, for whole wheat...LOL) on a suitable hook, and trim it to size and shape. Another way might be to wrap several layers of white dubbing on the hook until you get the size and shape you want, then whip finish. And, here's my take on it.... go to Hobby Lobby and buy a bag of white Pom-Poms in the size you want. Then, just put some Zap-A-Gap on the hook shank, thread the Pom-Pom on the hook, and trim to shape. Another way would be to get some Glo-Bug (white) yarn, and just make a mis-happen shaped Glo-Bug.

Good Luck, and Merry Christmas to everybody!
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 12-24-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks fellas!

I do want to tie up some of the Clouser Swimming Nymphs, too. I usually swim nymphs for carp, rather than drag them along the bottom. But a lot of what I read leads me to believe these usually work best on the bottom, dragged. Maybe its just that I can detect the strikes better if the fly is moving...it helps me keep slack out of my line at least.

About the "pom poms"... My kids have a bag of these in different sizes/colors for making whatever it is kids like to make with these things (my son just usually glues big doll eyes on them). From the larger of these fluff balls, I've pulled small clumps of strands to use for tail materials on bluegill foam poppers.
    I haven't fished with just the pom poms on a hook. Do they float, or do they eventually sink? That might work either way...

I'm wondering if the "Rainy's Bread Crumb Fly" might be made from Fuzzy Foam? I don't have brown, but not white. Maybe I could overlay the brown on something white...like those pom poms, maybe. But really, I don't think the brown is all that important, except to the fishermen.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I tie Glo-Bugs and Spiders with Pom-Poms. They will sink veerrryy sloooowwwly, just like a real spider would. Probably just like a real bread crumb would.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    Thanks fellas!

I do want to tie up some of the Clouser Swimming Nymphs, too. I usually swim nymphs for carp, rather than drag them along the bottom. But a lot of what I read leads me to believe these usually work best on the bottom, dragged. Maybe its just that I can detect the strikes better if the fly is moving...it helps me keep slack out of my line at least.

About the "pom poms"... My kids have a bag of these in different sizes/colors for making whatever it is kids like to make with these things (my son just usually glues big doll eyes on them). From the larger of these fluff balls, I've pulled small clumps of strands to use for tail materials on bluegill foam poppers.
    I haven't fished with just the pom poms on a hook. Do they float, or do they eventually sink? That might work either way...

I'm wondering if the "Rainy's Bread Crumb Fly" might be made from Fuzzy Foam? I don't have brown, but not white. Maybe I could overlay the brown on something white...like those pom poms, maybe. But really, I don't think the brown is all that important, except to the fishermen.

Blog Entries

Dave,

Where did you fish for oscar and peacocks? South Florida? Next time you're down this way, give me a holler!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    Thanks fellas!

It is a fuzzy foam. Piece of cake (or should I say Bread) fly. Cut it like a slice of bread, but you need fuzzy foam. You can order it through Rainy's:

Here is my favorite carp fly ( along with the HEX)

Thanks for the pictures, FlyGoddess!
    How do you suppose one can keep the furry foam from spinning around the hookshank? Will glue hold it good enough?

Also, what kind of feather do you use for the white hackle on your popcorn fly? Hen saddle? I tried one last night with marabou, and it didn't turn out well...

Thanks for the info!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Default carp fly

you might be interested in the gray-white concoction for carp, on you tube

Two important fly patterns that were not mentioned

Foxy red clouser
    Clouser crayfish

+ Reply to Thread