+ Reply to Thread

Thread: One Year Reprieve

Hybrid View

Default One Year Reprieve

Marine Recreational Information Program

On December 23, 2008, NOAA Fisheries released a final rule giving anglers and spearfishers who fish recreationally in federal ocean waters until Jan. 1, 2010 to be registered in the national saltwater angler registry, a new tool designed to help the nation better manage and rebuild valuable fish stocks.

NOAA Fisheries received nearly 500 comments from anglers, state officials, fishing and environmental organizations on its proposed national registry rule during the comment period from June 12 until Aug. 21. The comments were considered carefully and helped NOAA Fisheries decide to give states and anglers another year to comply with the new rule.

The final rule outlines the process NOAA Fisheries will use for registering saltwater recreational anglers. It also addresses the qualifications and procedures for exempting states and their anglers from the federal registration requirement.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I heard they were going to start imbedding microchips in our ears so they can tell exactly where we are an any time.

Default I got my chip !

Well, not in my ear...but I have a cell phone...they know my every move !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Default new year

Big Brother!!

This 'registry' is an alternative to having saltwater fishing licenses.
    Something many people are not too thrilled about, but it's going to happen whether they like it or not
    If coastal states currently without saltwater licenses fail to implement one by the deadline, they loose the revenue of local license sales to the feds.

Personally (and selfishly) I'd like to see the states procrastinate as long as they like
    I regularly fish the coastal waters of 4 states, Mass, CT, NY, RI. and I will often will kayak between CT, NY, and RI waters all in the same day.
    I wouldn't be too pleased about have to buy multiple licenses just to fish what I consider my home water
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread