There are lots of various hackle pliers available now. Here are some of the pliers I use for various things;

Quite a few people prefer rotary hackle pliers for a number of things, here is an easy way to make some. Get one of the small "English" type hackle pliers. ( Bottom right in the above photo).Now all you need is a key ring, and a barrel swivel. Slip the barrel swivel over the hackle pliers, and then the other end over the key-ring.

Voila! Rotary hackle pliers:

I have used a "snap-link" here, as the last lot of these I made up were snapped up by people from my fly-dressing class, and I have no barrel swivels to hand right now. The somewhat larger stainless steel barrel swivels as used for sea-fishing etc are the best. Quite a few people get on much better with these pliers than with the "normal" type.

You can use a handle instead of a key ring if you like. If you want "shock absorption" use a small spring between the barrel swivel and the keyring. or handle.

Practically all hackle pliers benefit by slipping a piece of rubber or silicone rubber tubing over one or both jaws. This improves the grip, prevents them slipping, and also prevents the jaw edges form damaging hackle etc.

TL
MC