+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing Etiquette

Hybrid View

Default Fishing Etiquette

For anyone new to angling with a fly, one of the first things I would suggest you learn and practice, is stream etiquette.

I was fishing one of my favorite streams this last Friday and had to bite my tongue....twice! I noticed only about five other anglers all day; however, on two separate occasions I had two of them enter the stream just above where I was beginning to work a pool. I honestly think they did not know any better, but that didn't stop me from cursing under my breath. Maybe I should have taken the time to speak to them about stream etiquette but I just left and headed upstream hopeful of not seeing them again!

Here's a pretty good tutorial on stream etiquette. Hope it helps those that are unaware?

http://www.fly-fishing-colorado.com/...etiquette.html

Bob

Bob -

Good article. Thanks for posting the link.

John
    The fish are always right.

3. Default

I knew a fellow who used to carry several copies of a page with a list of etiquette. The first line was "This is NOT to single anyone out. Everyone here is getting this page" and he would leave it on windshields of vehicles parked in the area.

It was for newbies and oldies who have just forgotten.

I never heard anyone complain and I do believe it helped.

I was going to suggest you print out a few copies and stuff one in your vest. Sometimes we have written about it too, but glad to see it anywhere on the net.

Blog Entries

What I encounter is people who apply etiquette from one water they fish to the next, without considering any local factors such as size of the water or regular fishing pressure. For instance, on the San Juan in New Mexico, it is common, and accepted, to fish quite close to someone. As in, your drift and his almost overlap. On the lower Dolores, "too close" for me is a quarter of a mile.

Err on the side of being too polite.

Blackwater, I would not put a flyer on someone's car. To me, that might as well be littering. The wind gets hold of them, people get annoyed and throw them away, it rains on them...

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    What I encounter is people who apply etiquette from one water they fish to the next, without considering any local factors such as size of the water or regular fishing pressure. For instance, on the San Juan in New Mexico, it is common, and accepted, to fish quite close to someone. As in, your drift and his almost overlap. On the lower Dolores, "too close" for me is a quarter of a mile.

Err on the side of being too polite.

Blackwater, I would not put a flyer on someone's car. To me, that might as well be littering. The wind gets hold of them, people get annoyed and throw them away, it rains on them...
    True. But it is simple paper and wouldnt last long before breaking down. But I see your point.

Blog Entries

Default once in 47 years

only once in 47 years have i ever had a problem with another angler.
    They cut me off and started fishing. Walked 100yards over an open field and started directly in front of me.

It was open pasture and lunker structure. They had to see me from the road. The enjoyable part.....

I just about to skip the open pasture with the lunker structure..

I don't fish petting zoos.

hutjensmpg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by spinner1 View Post

I just about to skip the open pasture with the lunker structure..

I don't fish petting zoos.
    spinner1 - so I take it you don't like LUNKERs? I'm beginning to lean that way myself, but would be curious to hear more about your reasons.

From my view, even though I get it that they provide cover and help survival rates, they seem to make a river 'moody' in that the fish stay tucked up under there and aren't distributed like a natural river would be. On a natural river (or one restored without lunkers/skyhooks) even when there's not a huge hatch I can usually pick up some fish. But on the heavily lunkered rivers it can be pretty tough, until the moment that a hatch begins, but then you have to still fish right by the lunkers and the fish don't seem to distribute as much - which I think is what you mean by the 'petting zoos'?

Blog Entries

Default Lunker structures

Most lunkers put in my area are not maintained. They silt in quickly. They are initially are
    groomed and landscaped. Every tree in 30 yards is removed. Even when they are
    put in properly they are beacons to other anglers (Come Fish Here).

One of the most rewarding parts of trout fishing to me is the Reading the water part.
    I am kinda an odd duck. I like targeting the BIG trout in a run. Little trout are good but would trade them for one big one.

Lunkers have a good intention. Anything that makes the environment better for trout I am ok with. But I question whether the lunkers put near me are bettering the enivorment. Most studies I have seen show lunkers are NOT to be used in streams with flooding problems. The driftless area has been PULVERIZED with flooding the last 2 years.

My area has recently gotten away from lunkers and use rock placement as more of a bank stability measure.

I much prefer a naturally made hole to a golf green.

Having done a large amount of fishing prior to taking up fly fishing so I was aware of space and how to approach someone else on spot. But if I made a mistake either in handling a fish or being rude to another fishermen, I would want someone to politely let me know. Much better than a sock to the chops that most of my bass pals would more likely give.

+ Reply to Thread