+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a new puppy?

Default Do I need a new puppy?

Twelve years ago I got my first Jack Russell Terrier. I can not remember not having some breed of dog in my 74 years. Thinking back I remember my first dog was Pepper. She was a stray I found while doing my paper route. She was a small black terrier of mixed ancestry.
    As I progressed through life I have had many different dogs. All kinds, hunting, show, obedience, etc. I became a professional dog trainer. I did a lot of research of different strains of the Jack Russell and found very few of the old hunting families. I did locate a lady in Central Iowa ( Kenny obtained ?Daff? from this kennel this past Spring) that had them and found it might take some time before I could get a puppy. I purchased a female, after selecting the breeding I wanted a pup from. It took about 18 months before I got a phone call, My female puppy was ready to ship to Spokane.

Ghia arrived in a small airlines kennel. She was so small, just a cute little bundle of joy. We bonded at first sight. For 12 years Ghia was my constant companion. If the truck left the property, she was in the passenger seat, letting me know which way to go. Ghia proved to be quite a hunter and my buddy. Being extremely intelligent, easily and quickly proved to be both voice and hand controlled. Well, almost, being a JRT, and being very headstrong, we worked through life with a mutual understanding.

We got a boy dog so we could raise a couple litters of puppies. We both enjoyed the two litters, but that was enough. Actually I found I ?lost? my buddy while the pups were growing. It was a fun thing though.

Those of you that have visited the Ranch got to know Ghia and everyone loved her. This past August she developed a sinus problem. After many trips to the vet and a lot of $$ and pain for both of us I decided it was time. August 4, 2008 we made the last trip into the vet. Kenny and I laid her to rest here at home.

Decision time?? Everyone encouraged me to get another pup. No way, my inner person said. Not possible to replace Ghia. After 12 years?? Not possible. A couple weeks before going to the Idaho Fish In I located a breeder within 80 miles of the Ranch that had a female, expecting a litter and the ancestry was almost the same as Ghia. If a female puppy was born to this breeding, I was interested. Upon arriving home I had an e-mail saying there were 2 boys and 2 girls. After many photos and 7 + weeks, Kenny and I drove up to see/purchase a new Pup? Her kennel name was ?Pistol? She is a pistol, and that is her name. Yes, we brought her home. She was the smallest of the four pups, but I determined she was the most intelligent. Testing very young puppies is quite easy and has proved to me, she is quite intelligent. But she is a JRT. I Love her. She enjoys snuggling on either Ken?s lap of ?Dads lap?. Sleeps snuggled next to me under the flannel sheets. Has grown like a puppy should and manages to get into all things a puppy should.

The reason for writing this is to encourage any of you that loose a pet to not deprive yourself and some lucky pup of the joy of having that little, special companion.
    Plans for this puppy are to rig up a basket for the back of my pontoon for her to sit in and go fishin with Dad.

Denny

Have attached a couple photos. Of course the little one is Pistol. The larger one is Kenny's Daffy and of course Kenny.
    Never a dull minute here at the Ranch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Denny; 12-21-2008 at 03:01 PM.

My Golden "Duke" was with me for almost 12 years, until a tumor on his heart took him from me. That was seven years ago. I still get misty when I think about Duke. However 18 months after Duke's passing I had greived enough, and along came "Duchess" another Golden and she loves me like Duke did. I know that sometime I will again go thru the same sad times. But this time as last, I will be getting NOT a replacement dog but another friend that will remind me every day what "unconditional" love really is.

Always have a dog!

Tom

Blog Entries

I lost Shadow my best friend a black lab about a month after my first Idaho Fish in. I had planned to take him to meet Steve's "Lady" the next year in Lowell. They were about the same age. Sadly he developed leukemia and I lost my buddy. It is very hard for me to enter the campgrounds in Washington and Idaho for the fish ins each year because I know Lady is there and the memories flood back. The instant I pet her head and throw her a stick its all good again. Silly I know, but there it is. I miss him very much and still cannot bring myself to get another Lab.

We have four little Shiz tsu's running around here that help a bit, but consequently we really have no room for a big dog. I love the little guys to death of course but I miss having a Lab.

If you want to see who is your best friend lock your spouse and your dog in the trunk of the car for an hour and see which one is happy to see you.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Denny,

Your right on target, as we talked about this before. When Cuhee passed I was sure, at my age, that I wouldn't have another dog. That thought lasted about a month, until the house started to feel really empty. Along came Ghillie, our little English Springer Spaniel, and the sound of puppy whines are music to my ears.

There are lots of good dogs and cats out there in need of permanent homes where they are part of the family, not just a "pet". Do yourself and them a favor, share your life with them.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Denny,
    I wish I had your ability to get on with it after losing a pet/friend. I lost my pet "Harley" 3 years ago and the pain was SO great, I still can't get myself to ( tough word to inject here, however) "replace" him. He was a present from my daughter who was attending ASU at the time and he also came in that "airline cage". We had him for 16 years. A year ago, for my 65th birthday, the "surprise" was to have been another cat. Yes , Harley was a cat. A runt of his litter for he never really grew much past his kitten size. Probably a mere 3 pounds or so. In any case, I got wind of the "surprise" and stopped it before it happened. No way could I even think about losing another pet/friend. I've been called selfish etc. for this, but, it was just too much to have to go through again.
    I do envy you for being able to "go on", but for me , maybe it's too early. I think I'll wait till (God willing)I'm 80 and then, for sure, my pet will outlive me.

Mark

Although I already had a dog, Sophie a very special Border Collie, in the past I had a couple of Newfoundlands. I said after putting down the last one that was it no more very large dogs. I love them but they are to much trouble to take care of.

I went for 10 or more years after the last newfie when we were contacted by some people that had a 2 year old newf they needed to find a home for. Large breeds are hard to adopt because of they need room and require a bit more care then smaller dogs. At first I resisted but later gave in to the pressure from other family members and we brought home Kuma. At the time a 145 pound Newfoundland. We had some problem at first getting control over the strong willed newf but he eventually came around and now has made himself a true member of the family. He loves our grand children and won't leave the side of Kaylee our grand daughter. Kuma now wieghs at over 180. He is still strong willed but I am so glad I have another newfie around. They are one of the coolest breeds around in my opinion.

I am for you that you made the decision to get another JRT. Life is much bette when a dog is sharing it with you.

"The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Marco,

I dread the day I have to say goodbye to my old girl, Bu**wipe. Her name is really Sweetgrass, but it just doesn't fit her. When she was a kitten she would sit on the toilet seat and unroll a whole roll of toilet paper just for fun. I picked her up at a Pow Wow. Someone had found her on a busy street. I took her home until I could find her a good home. 16 years later and I'm still looking for a place better than here (not very hard, mind you). I started out bottle feeding her until she was weaned, but as a kitten she would get on my chest, nuzzle into my neck and knead, digging her tiny claws into my throat. She still does that, 16 years later, but now I have to have a good wool blanket to protect my throat as her claws are no longer tiny.

My wife's younger cat and the new puppy don't bother her at all. A growl and a well placed swat with those big paws and claws gets her point across very well.

Take your time, when you find the right animal, cat or dog, you won't be able to help yourself, no matter what your age.

Kerry, great pics of your newfie.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

We lost our 135lbs redbone Travis after 11 years of putting up with his constant challenges to my authority. At least once a month he would have to throw out his challenge to me with teeth popping deep guttural growling and snapping at my hands. I would always win out but man I hated this dog.
    On the day he came out into the living room and fell down to his right side my heart sank. We called my next door neighbor who is also our vet and he came over. It turned out my fears were correct and that pain in my... had had a stroke. We spent the day with him since the vet assured us he was in no pain so my kids could say goodbye and I went to work digging his final place with the pets in our past. It was a mixed blessing that that stubborn old hound picked the hottest day to go as the sweat running down my face hid the tears of what I always had though would be joy but was surprised to be the opposite. He wasn't such a bad old guy after all. He was just Travis.
    We went and found a new dog within a week to help ease the loss. It was a little girl this time so the challenges would not be an issue. She was a sweet little pitbull of all things. Everything I had read about them said NO but she came home with us and has been one of the greatest dogs we have ever had. She is a total clown full of smiles.
    Well, my kids decided to remind me that I always said they could have a second dog as long as they were of the same age and we got them together so along came our little black lab. Also a female to avoid the challenge thing. These two dogs are a blessing every day and I can't imagine not havng them around. They are inseparable and have not one ounce of aggression.
    I still miss my old nemesis Travis and the eyes well up when I think back but these little girls have filled a big hole in our hearts that was needing to be filled.
    We wil never be without dogs. Especially pitbulls.

Having loved and lost a number of dogs my wife and I now have a family ritual that we go through. We lovingly plant a tree in memory of each pet and that tree becomes that pet's tree. You can never "replace" a loved pet, but life is too short to stay focused on what you have lost. Our 86 year old neighbor recently lost her loving companion and pet. We were really starting to worry about her until she joyfully told us about her new puppy that she was getting from the same breeder. She didn't "replace" her Maggie, she just chose to enjoy her life with another cute little pup that helps keep her 86 years young.

Thank you for starting this nice thread, especially at this time of year when we need to remember:

The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.

Jim Smith

How coincidental that I came upon this thread just 1/2 hour after donning my waders and wading shoes to walk my Brittany, Bandy, to the river to bathe her. The kicker is that the temp is about 38 and the wind is blowing 25 from the north. Some motorists passing over the bridge, I'm sure, were tempted to call the SPCA. "What a bastard," they were probably thinking, "making that poor dog get in that river on such a cold day!"

Little did they know the back story.

Had her out for our morning romp and she discovered a decaying armadillo in the pasture. Of course, she had to throw herself upon it and after vigorous scrubbing with her back (all the time ignoring my commands to come), she smelled so bad that I was about to toss cookies when 30 feet from her. In case you have never smelled a decaying armadillo, just imagine the worst odor you have ever experienced and multiply it a few times.

Had you come along at that moment and offered to buy the dog (as is), I would have given you $1000 to complete the transaction.

She, of course, then naturally saturated with a camo odor, delighted in pointing birds (any kind will do here, as there are no grouse, quail or pheasants) as we made our way back to the truck. She always rides in the cab with me. Not today! I lifted her into the bed (will probably have to burn or bury my jacket) and she rode home looking forlornly at me through the window of the camper shell.

Bathing and drying completed, she now lays at my feet, deodorized, and I wouldn't take a million for her.

So is life with dogs.
    Last edited by HCR; 12-21-2008 at 06:40 PM.

+ Reply to Thread