Thread: Do I need a new puppy?

Threaded View

Default Do I need a new puppy?

Twelve years ago I got my first Jack Russell Terrier. I can not remember not having some breed of dog in my 74 years. Thinking back I remember my first dog was Pepper. She was a stray I found while doing my paper route. She was a small black terrier of mixed ancestry.
    As I progressed through life I have had many different dogs. All kinds, hunting, show, obedience, etc. I became a professional dog trainer. I did a lot of research of different strains of the Jack Russell and found very few of the old hunting families. I did locate a lady in Central Iowa ( Kenny obtained ?Daff? from this kennel this past Spring) that had them and found it might take some time before I could get a puppy. I purchased a female, after selecting the breeding I wanted a pup from. It took about 18 months before I got a phone call, My female puppy was ready to ship to Spokane.

Ghia arrived in a small airlines kennel. She was so small, just a cute little bundle of joy. We bonded at first sight. For 12 years Ghia was my constant companion. If the truck left the property, she was in the passenger seat, letting me know which way to go. Ghia proved to be quite a hunter and my buddy. Being extremely intelligent, easily and quickly proved to be both voice and hand controlled. Well, almost, being a JRT, and being very headstrong, we worked through life with a mutual understanding.

We got a boy dog so we could raise a couple litters of puppies. We both enjoyed the two litters, but that was enough. Actually I found I ?lost? my buddy while the pups were growing. It was a fun thing though.

Those of you that have visited the Ranch got to know Ghia and everyone loved her. This past August she developed a sinus problem. After many trips to the vet and a lot of $$ and pain for both of us I decided it was time. August 4, 2008 we made the last trip into the vet. Kenny and I laid her to rest here at home.

Decision time?? Everyone encouraged me to get another pup. No way, my inner person said. Not possible to replace Ghia. After 12 years?? Not possible. A couple weeks before going to the Idaho Fish In I located a breeder within 80 miles of the Ranch that had a female, expecting a litter and the ancestry was almost the same as Ghia. If a female puppy was born to this breeding, I was interested. Upon arriving home I had an e-mail saying there were 2 boys and 2 girls. After many photos and 7 + weeks, Kenny and I drove up to see/purchase a new Pup? Her kennel name was ?Pistol? She is a pistol, and that is her name. Yes, we brought her home. She was the smallest of the four pups, but I determined she was the most intelligent. Testing very young puppies is quite easy and has proved to me, she is quite intelligent. But she is a JRT. I Love her. She enjoys snuggling on either Ken?s lap of ?Dads lap?. Sleeps snuggled next to me under the flannel sheets. Has grown like a puppy should and manages to get into all things a puppy should.

The reason for writing this is to encourage any of you that loose a pet to not deprive yourself and some lucky pup of the joy of having that little, special companion.
    Plans for this puppy are to rig up a basket for the back of my pontoon for her to sit in and go fishin with Dad.

Denny

Have attached a couple photos. Of course the little one is Pistol. The larger one is Kenny's Daffy and of course Kenny.
    Never a dull minute here at the Ranch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Denny; 12-21-2008 at 03:01 PM.