+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a new puppy?

FREE TO A BAD HOME: The Terrible Butterfly, a German shorthaired pointer some of you have met when she was on her good behavior. About an hour ago she decided to tip over a planter with one of the last of my mother's surviving (until now) plants in it. The carpet was buried in potting soil which she ground in nicely. Of course I am too male and was to pissed to read the instructions for putting in a new vacuum cleaner bag which was full from her last prank and proceeded to spray it as a fine dust over the entire living room. The point is , if you can live without a dog, which I can't, your probably better off. She'll be forgiven and start behaving as soon as this blizzard lets up and she can get do some running.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Unhappy Pet

I am in the same boat as well and getting close to maybe getting one? Maybe a female Yellow Lab who knows???

Here is my Dear Zeke that just recently passed....tough to even say his name

http://flyfishaddiction.com/Dog_Folder.html

Default Do I need a puppy

Denny

"Tucker Not Carlos of Green" tells me he has an extra tire, Does Pistol need a toy?
    "Don't mess with the Mule, just load the wagon"
    David L
    Roseburg Or.

Hi there,

You have to love the time you spend with your dogs. My 2 Jack Russells are always with me

Cool Dog Issue?

Well it is winter, fishing is a little tough, and you all seem to have such wonderful stories about your dogs - why not send your favorite (or favorites) to me and we will do a Special Dog Issue before Spring. Should help keep cabin fever away. *S*
    Send to: publisher@flyanglersonline.com

Blog Entries

thanks denny. our keeshond of 13 years (im only 16) passed away this past march. Trixie was my best friend growing up and i believe helped make me who i am now. after she died, the first time the topic came up of getting a new dog, i thought absolutely not. no dog could ever replace that perfect dog we had, and i never want to go through the loss of a new dog again. but after being home alone just a few times after that, and realizing these are the first times im REALLY home alone, i was missing my dog again. just really wishing i had that companion back, who, no matter what had happened, would just snuggle up next to me next to the couch, lick my face, and help me forget all the stresses. the one who would no matter what i did, or who was mad at me, was ALWAYS happy to see me.
    my parents and sister were wanting to get a new dog but i was still on the fence about it. but after reading what you wrote, im thinking maybe it is time to get a new dog. not for a few months yet, but maybe come spring.
    the house just gets too lonely when its missing a dog...

DDR;
    My friend, as I breeder, obvious dog lover and one who; "Is allowed to live in the house, only because the 4 dogs that occupy it, "said it was okay, if I behaved", I can sure understand your feelings about "another dog" and I'm sorry for all the losses that friends have posted here so far.
    "Loosing a Fur Kid", a family member, a best friend who NEVER questions you or your motives..... just agrees, because "that's what dogs do", is a tough thing to to go through. The adoptive families, Linda and I adopt our dogs to, will often come to our kennels with the idea and feelings of "REPLACING, the family member they've lost".

The very first thing we suggest to these families if to "NEVER, EVER, try and "replace" the loved one, you've lost!" It's impossible to do, even adopting the same breed, dog, that you may have lost. "Replacing a dog", is exactly like "trying to duplicate a lost human member of a family", there's no way it can be done!
    If one adopts a new dog, on the assumption of "replacing, the one lost", they're being unfair to themselves, as well as, to the new dog. If you start looking for your new "Fur Kid" to be as smart, as quick, as funny, as dumb acting, as whatever....... that your lost companion was, there's no way, that's going to happen. Maybe "close", but still "no cigar".
    Adopt you new Fur Kid, just like you'd welcome a new baby to the family. Namely, watch it, study it and see how it will develop into its OWN personality and disposition!
    As we also tell, adoptive families, adopting a "replacement dog", is one of the great things about getting a new dog, after the death of a lost pet, is the fun and joy of discovering "just, who, your new companion is going to be"!!
    Taking care of this new, young and dependent Fur Kid, is great "therapy" for the grieving process, we all go through, as well.

People often make the mistake of missing out on having that love and faithfulness around them, they once cherished so much, because they're trying to "duplicate, replace and copy", that which they once had. It doesn't happen, that way, fortunately or unfortunately, because every dog, every breed, every new puppy is just that......... "new"!
    This has been a great post, thank you, Denny for starting it!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Do I need a New Puppy?

Thanks to all of you that have contributed to this thread.

My purpose was not to say everyone needs to add a new Pet. I for one am sure none of my past pets could ever be replaced. It is not to REPLACE, but to step foreword and add a new joy into my life and the life of another friend.
    Pistol has been home for about 6 weeks now. Both of us are really enjoying our time together. Being a Jack Russell Terrier, and my having had a previous companion of a JRT for 12 years, I know it is easier for both of us. We will be getting to know each other for many years to come, I know. It is impossible for me to put into words how much I am enjoying life with her.

I encourage any of you that have lost a friend, do not rush out and get just any pup. Do some research on any breed, your living conditions, desires and expectations. Chose wisely, not because a pup is cute. They are all cute but this pup that will mature into something far different than a cute pup, turn into the friend both of you want. Start looking now. Do not put it off, just do it.

Remember it is possible to obtain some excellent companions from Rescue and your local pounds. Some can be had for free. (well almost) Do some leg work and chose wisely.

I encourage all of you to read LF's post about sending in to the Publisher your story so she can put together an article we all can enjoy.

It is early morning, two days before Christmas. As I write this, Pistol is sleeping at my feet. Has been in my lap but as of yet I have not cleared her for computer / keyboard work. Her fingers are fatter than mine and her spelling is also worse than mine. She can not understand why she can not talk on my cell phone either, yet. She does enjoy being in my lap. Lots to learn and I am making progress.

Wishing all of you a Happy and Safe Holiday season.

Will catch all of you down stream.

Denny & Pistol.
    Last edited by Denny; 12-23-2008 at 04:21 PM.

I always had a dog growing up. My wife on the other hand didn't. After being married for 10 yearas I finally got her to take the plunge. The first dog we had for 4 days and had to take him back to the humane society. The second one we adopted we have had for 3.5 years now. Josie is our 68lb black lab mix. She got hold of a Deceiver I had left on the table one day and proceeded to eat it ! My wife found her with a piece of hackle stuck between her teeth. Josie thought she did something great because my wife started giving her treats and food. And by doing that it actually coated the hook so it didn't tear her stomach open. After a major surgery and a week in the vets office. Josie and my wife have a very strong bond between them.

Denny, I have been meaning to get in touch. I drive past elk at least once a month, spend some time in Deer Park and Colville.... We should get together sometime. I will give a call and maybe you can let me pick a rooster while it's still "on the hoof" for future tying needs. If I were running foxes on horseback I would definately have a JRT, as it is I am killing ducks so I have one of these:

Glad you're enjoying having a new pup. There's nothing like it.

+ Reply to Thread