+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Warmwater Tying, What is everyone tying

Hybrid View

Default Winter Warmwater Tying, What is everyone tying

Hi All,

What are you all tying this winter?

I am thinking about which fly to tie for Rick Z's fly swap. I am planning to tie some small panfish streamers, and think those are the right choice for Rick's swap, but haven't been able to decide on just one.

I have thought about the olive and orange, perhaps some of the streamers from Joe's recent feature, a modern streamer such as the hot flash minnow, or maybe a classic such as a Mickey Finn or Llama. Tying classics really satisfies, but I have actually done better with the simpler hackleless buggers.

For my own tying, the first step for me is to go through my fly boxes and attempt to bring order to chaos. For me, this is nearly a hopeless task. The main task for me this winter will be streamers of all sorts, at least a few. I will go heavy on hackleless buggers, but will definately tie some classics. This year will be a good year to try some Murray Marauders and similar steamers also.

Regards,

Gandolf

Gandolf,

Usually by this time of year, my boxes are already over flowing with flies. I used to tie up tons of different patterns (I usually fish warm water), but the last few years, I've found that since I only tie to catch fish, I am tying no more than 6-8 patterns.

For bream, I tie the following:

1. all black leeches that use a dubbing brush for the body and a rabbit fur tail
    2. Cap spiders
    3. Carter's Sculpin usually black and grizzly
    3. soft hackles

For LM Bass

1. larger all black leeches
    2. Polar fiber minnows ( chartruese/olive over white and all black)
    3. foam poppers
    4. Gurgle pops usually all black

I know it sounds boring, but I find that I catch over 90% of my fish on these patterns so that's what I'll be tying this winter.

Jim Smith

Hi All;

I'm signed up for three swaps on this site, "no feathers allowed wooly bugger swap","All american swap",and "Fotw 2008 swap." I'm tying a wooly bugger with congo hair tail+chenille body+ boa yarn hackle,some type of red white &blue wooly,and the bluegill bomber.

I need to tie up a bunch of yellow gurgle pops for summer.

I want to work on smaller flies, less than size 12 mostly nymphs.

Wayneb

I'll be tying woolly worms (mostly yellow), red butt epoxy ants, gurglers (again, mostly yellow), foam spiders & beetles, buggers, bunny strips, etc & I am determined to tie some new (at least to me as a tyer) patterns.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I'll be tying up some Foxee Red Clousers and some brown/orange Woolly Buggers for smallmouth. But my main focus will be on streamers. I started fishing them more this past season and want to add more to my box for next season.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I've already got a good start on next years flies.
    For bluegills, mainly these:
    1. Shwapf's
    2. Caps Spider (modified)
    3. Gurgle Pops
    4. Woolly buggers & woolly worms

For Bass:
    1. Crease Fly
    2. Foam Popper
    3. Crayfish imitators
    4. Woolly buggers

For Carp:
    1. Hex nymphs
    2. Sister Carol's Grass Carp Fly
    3. Woolly buggers

For White Bass & Crappies:
    1. Woolly buggers
    2. Clouser Deep Minnows
    3. Mylar tubing minnows
    4. Thunder Creek Minnows
    5. Pencil Poppers
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Wow. Sounds like a warmwater site! Besides the swaps I'm tying for myself gurglers, cap spiders (ordered a whole bunch of 1/124th oz jigs! already done some for Rick's swap), hare 'n coppers, Skip Morris', softies, crappie candies and pan handlers for gills and crappies. For bass I'm doing both yellow and black Wiggle Worms for bass, my most effective bass fly for the past year. I also have four rods to wrap, two fly and two spinners. Bring on the blizzards! JGW

Luv those crappie candies, they're really killers in my neck of the woods. Been also tying up a bunch of foam flies and poppers, my main go to flies. Experimenting with some new streamers too.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Hi Guys & Gals;
    I'm tying some zebra emergers, tellico nymphs,( since I just found out about them ) and more BHE & PHTs. Gonna be long winter lol lol

long winter is right. we're getting hit with some major snow storms this weekend in N.W. IA so we'll be spending allot time at the vise. Great way to spend a snowed in weekend

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

+ Reply to Thread