+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT winter reading

Default OT winter reading

A friend I teach with and I have a two man book club. (that way it is easier to settle arguments over which book to read next and arguments over everything else that otherwise goes with such a topic)

Anyway, we finished Lonesome Dove a while back and are in need of a new topic and new read.

Westerns are pretty much out for this time around but anything else is fine. Lee does not fish at all much less flyfish so that topic is mostly out although a fine adventure story is always welcome.

As I know many of you read well beyond the topic at hand here, I thought I would ask for suggestions.

How about the book of John from the Bible. Lots of good stuff there. Even a fishing story.
    Dick xfishcop

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

" The Walking Drum" By Louis L'amour. I highly reccomend it. It is a very well written historical novel. Though he is best known for his westerns, Louis wrote many other books on many other topics. "The Walking Drum" is set in europe, and is the story of Kierkegaard, a pirate and adventurer, among many other things. A very good adventure story, with L'amour's trademark historical and geographical accuracy..... I have read it a few times over the last twenty years, and enjoy it every time....ModocDan

Pillars of the earth by ken follet. Absolutely wonderful book, but somewhat long. perhaps you could take it in sections? It even has a sequel "World without end"

The Milagro Beanfield War by John Nichols.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Blog Entries

I agree with Modocdan on the walking drum as being a good read, for this time of year if you haven't read " A Christmas Carol" by Dickens its better than most of the movies and a quick read.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

very interesting suggestions so far. I am very much taken aback by " A Christmas carol"

keep the suggestion list coming please!!

8. Default

Once An Eagle, by Anton Myrer

Dub

The fish are always right.

nighthawk Guest

Might I suggest "All Creatures Great and Small" by James Herriot? As a matter of fact I have found all of his, James Herriot's, writings to be excellent. Very entertaining and heart warming.

+ Reply to Thread