+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking some heat off hungNtree

Hybrid View

Smile Taking some heat off hungNtree

Poor hungNtree -- he innocently wades in asking for advice and gets attacked by piranhas.

Let's see if I can create a diversion that spares him a few toothy nips.

This last summer while living in Boise, I went into the REI store and bought a shirt. On the left chest of the shirt, above the pocket, there is a 2-inch tab of material that's stitched down on one end with the other end connected by a tiny Velcro tab.

I've always assumed this tab is intended for holding a fly rod (or other fishing rod) in place against your chest, freeing both your arms and hands to better deal with knotting a fly onto your tippet, or whatever.

But I'm not sure. Thing is, I've never seen a photo anywhere that shows a fisherman using the tab for this purpose. And I've never read anything anywhere that explains the use of this little cloth tab.

Had I been able to attend the Idaho Fish-In this summer I would have asked Castwell about this during the basic-info Superman lectures he gives outside the Rumpus Room. Or maybe DanBob, or Ken or Bob first.

Well, that's it. I'm at y'all's mercy. Could anyone please enlighten me on the function of this little cloth tab on my shirt?

(hungNtree, hurry up and stagger out of the river and seek medical attention before they bite into a major artery and you bleed out.)

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

Joe when I bought my first vest about 45 years ago It had that tab and a loop at the bottom of the vest on the oposit side on the picture that was on the price tag. It showed a gentleman with the butt of his fly rod in the loop and the tab holding the rod blank a litttle higher up. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Whew! Thanks, Bassman; I got off easier than expected!

I guess the little shirt tab is something you can, or can't, use for holding the rod blank depending on your attire at the time? For instance, you can't use the tab if you're wearing a vest over your shirt, you can't use it if you're wearing chest waders, etc.

If you're wearing the shirt tucked into your pants and don't have on a vest or chest waders, I guess you either set the rod butt on the ground, place it in your left front pants pocket, or hold the rod butt with your belt, or simply hang it on the waistband of the pants.

I wonder how many fly fishers actually use this little tab? Again, I've never seen anybody use it for anything, anywhere, ever. Maybe it's become merely a "style thing" that shirt makers put on to attract us fishing bums. Sort of like those shirts and pants you see that have 25 pockets sewn on them -- only two or three of which you're destined to use.

Joe

Joe,
    I've used said velcro strap and loop system on my vest a few times. It does really come in handy to hold the rod while you're fiddling with tying on tippet or fishing around in your 23rd pocket looking for the fly box that you really know is in there somewhere and you are getting frustrated because the other 16 fly boxes you pulled out of your pockets didn't contain the fly you were looking for.

Of course, a sophsticated and highly intelligent man like you wouldn't have 16 flyboxes all containing a mix of various flies with absolutely no resemblence of order.

Therefore, the strip is most likely useless for you. But for me, it does come in handy about 2 times a summer.

Jeff

Wow! A revelation! I always need an extra hand when I'm landing a big fish, and now I've found it. Now I'll have to spend the whole fishing season trying to use it.

Real men put their rod between their teeth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Real men put their rod between their teeth.
    ...because they love the taste of carbon fiber in the morning...
    <queue "Ride of the Valkeries">

Ed

Default Taking heat off of me? Thanks!

Joe,

Thanks for the help The next time I have a question, (and I already do) I'll certainly be more careful about the technical terms that I use. lol My wife has always wanted to travel, but I have told her that hungNtree has probably been banned from Ohio.

As for my next question, anyone have a chainsaw I can borrow? I am going to cut that @%!&* tree!
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I use the one on my vest to hold my forceps. Keeps em from swinging around on the end of the zinger.
    I've never used the ones on the shirt. If I start to fall down, I can't toss the rod out of the way if its stuck to my shirt.

Kirk

Talking You are Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    Joe,

Thanks for the help The next time I have a question, (and I already do) I'll certainly be more careful about the technical terms that I use. lol My wife has always wanted to travel, but I have told her that hungNtree has probably been banned from Ohio.

As for my next question, anyone have a chainsaw I can borrow? I am going to cut that @%!&* tree!
    Hung-N-Tree,
    You are always welcome in "The Island Nation of Ohio"! Stop by sometime and we'll show you around, we would all like to meet you
    Dave
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

+ Reply to Thread