Poor hungNtree -- he innocently wades in asking for advice and gets attacked by piranhas.

Let's see if I can create a diversion that spares him a few toothy nips.

This last summer while living in Boise, I went into the REI store and bought a shirt. On the left chest of the shirt, above the pocket, there is a 2-inch tab of material that's stitched down on one end with the other end connected by a tiny Velcro tab.

I've always assumed this tab is intended for holding a fly rod (or other fishing rod) in place against your chest, freeing both your arms and hands to better deal with knotting a fly onto your tippet, or whatever.

But I'm not sure. Thing is, I've never seen a photo anywhere that shows a fisherman using the tab for this purpose. And I've never read anything anywhere that explains the use of this little cloth tab.

Had I been able to attend the Idaho Fish-In this summer I would have asked Castwell about this during the basic-info Superman lectures he gives outside the Rumpus Room. Or maybe DanBob, or Ken or Bob first.

Well, that's it. I'm at y'all's mercy. Could anyone please enlighten me on the function of this little cloth tab on my shirt?

(hungNtree, hurry up and stagger out of the river and seek medical attention before they bite into a major artery and you bleed out.)

Joe
"Better small than not at all."